newly diagnosed

Guest libsak

Guest libsak

Hi

My husband was just diagnosed with non small cell adeno carcinoma. Needless to say we are in shock and terrified. We need to make some choices about treatment options. He has been offered 2 types of standard chemo, Navelbine, or a combination of taxol and carboplatin. He has also been offered a clinical trial of a new drug called Tarceva (Iressa). We have no clue how to make this decision. Do you take a shot at something new and lose time when you could be using a proven drug? He is being treated at Dana Farber in Boston. Any input would be so appreciated. Thank you.

Libby

Dear Libby,

I know how scary this whole thing is. My husband also has NSCLC. I don't have any answers about the chemo, if you read my profile, my husband has not had chemo.

I am sure other people here will help you with information. But I have definitely found that the drs often leave it up to the patient and their families. I told the dr. the only decision we could make would be emotional, he could make a more scientific or medical decision, we needed their input.

Good luck.

Hi Libby,

I know how shocking this can be as my husband (age 52) was diagnosed with stage IV adenocarcinoma in November. We went with chemotherapy of carbo/taxol and did three treatments before the CT scan which revealed it was not working and had spread to the other lung. We now are going to go on Iressa.

Which to choose for your husband - there is no definitive answer since everyone is so different. The best thing to do is do something RIGHT NOW and then check with a CT scan as soon as possible.

I am glad you have found this place for support. There is also a wealth of information and experience right here on this board which really helps alot. Please keep us updated and know that we are praying for you.

God Bless,

Peg

Hi and welcome,

I hope that you will find the support and answers that you need here. There is alot of information here, and talk about different chemos. There are threads under the categories that discuss each. Everyone is different, but hopefully with, a good doctor, information gathered and faith you will be lead to the path of healing. I will pray for you and your husband.

Laurie

Libby, my wife has the same cancer and was diagnosed last October. She is taking chemo (Carboplatin and Taxotere). It really is a personal choice, but you should select something and go with it so the cancer is being attacked. You have my prayers. This message board is a good place to keep hooked up for info and support. Blessings. Don

Libby,

I'm guessing they have staged your husband(?). The options are different depending on staging. And like others have said, what works wonders on one person, has no affect on another... Sorry I can't be more decisive, but that's how this awful LC is. Tell us more and we can tell you what has worked for us. Hang in there. This is an emotional roller coaster ride you are in for. Look for the positives. JudyB

Hi Libby.

You couldn't have come to a better site than this for fisrt hand information;

and you're doing all the right things so far - questions, questions, questions. Now that you're on the board, you should post in other forums as well. Some people don't get around to all the forums, and may miss your questions. I myself, don't have any technical answers for you - I'm in the resident cheerleader category here. So... good luck for your husband and yourself, and stay in touch.

David P.

Hello, Adenocarcinoma is soon to be the leading type of lung cancer if it isn't already. Generally it is found "deep" in the lung as not in or around the bronchi. They say that it is taking over because of filtered cigarettes causing the smoker to inhale deeper to get nicotine. You did not mention if there was more than one tumor, is it touching the covering or pleura of the lung, has it spread outside of the lung, are there positive lymph nodes? Lots of questions right?

I also want to say a special hello because I was born and raised in the Bay State. I graduated from nursing school at Boston City Hospital ( which went to a 4 yr program a few years later) I hope you don't have to deal with the traffic from the big dig.

I had it touching the nerves and pleura in the very top of my right lung, I had Cisplatin, VP16 then after it shrunk I was able to have surgery then more chemo ( the same drugs) to be sure we zapped any loose cells. Do keep us posted. Donna

Guest sanjo4444

Welcome to the messge board. You will find it very helpful from a very practical standpoint. I had a large tumor on my right lung. Taxol didn't work for me although it did shrink the tumor a little. What REALLY worked was carboplatin and gymsar (not quite the right spelling). They reduced the size of the tumor by almost 80% so the tumor that was inoperable three months ago was removed a few weeks ago with great results! All pathology reports came back negative. Please remember that everyone is different in their reactions to these drugs! Pleae keep us all posted.