Sad to be here.

Guest JamesF

Hi.....my Mom has been diagnosed with NSCLC. It's spread to bone and lymph nodes. Looks like type IIIB, but might be IV. It was borderline I guess.

My mom's ONC is a friend of a friend, so she trusts him and a second opinion wouldn't be helpful at the moment. I live in Montana, but just spent a few days in Silverdale, Washington where she lives and is being treated, and unfortunately her ONC was away the days I was there so I didn't get to speak with him. She meets with him again Friday with my brother and aunt, after a week and a half of radiation and chemo to learn a bit more. Being far away only adds to the helpless feeling that comes from watching someone you love go through this.

She's 67. I'm the youngest of her 5 children and my father passed away from diabetes complications less than two years ago. They were divorced, but friends.

I can relate to how you feel Jana, I don't know what or how to feel or what to hope for. I'm praying so hard for remission and more time for her to enjoy life with her 14 grandchildren. But I also don't want to see her suffer through terrible pain just for a few more months. I just don't know what to think. And the doctors by their own admission don't seem to really know the odds except that they seem very long, but everyone is different so who knows.

My mom wants to fight this thing.

The doctors found a pullmonary embollism at the same time they suspected cancer, so they had to put her on blood thinners for a month to treat the embollism before they could even do the biopsy, so this whole thing has been very scary and emotionally stressful on everyone.

Thanks for listening...

james

Welcome James, we all know how overwhelming this whole thing is. I hope that we can help and support you . It is so difficult to be far away from a loved one at a time like this . Again welcome. Donna G

Thanks for your support. Sorry if my initial intro was more of an emotional vent. I know she's in for a real battle, and has a fighting heart. It just hurts to see someone go through this. Thanks again. I'll post more as I know more about her condition...

james

Hi James,

That is my son's name so I can relate to you as a mother.. I to am 67 but it is my husband who is now going through Stage IV lc with mets to the brain, liver, and bone. He has been fighting this since 7/31/02 and what a battle...

I would suggest as I do to all new people to go to the web sight of www.blochcancer.org and www.chemocare.com. The is some really great reading there to help one understand this lung cancer fight. YOu might also want to have your brother read up on these so that he to is somewhat informed when going with your mom to the onc...

Hang in and hold on tight for it is one he////of a battle.....and it can be betten.....your mom wants to fight and that is a great sign. will put your mom in my nightly prayers..[/url]

Hello James;

Welcome and my very best to you, so sorry to hear about your mom. This is a terrible disease and as Donna said can be quite overwelming at times. So know your not alone in feeling the things you are feeling. :? It just goes with the diagnoses.

Your mom wants to fight it and thats a good thing and 67 is not that old. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Again welcome, glad you found us.

God bless and be well

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Hello James

It really is a hard thing when you don't know exactly what you should be hoping for, but I have realised the best thing to hope for is just hope itself. The advice others have given me about not worrying about tomorrow and just enjoying today is so true. Yet at times this is hard to do. But the thing that is easy to do is just love, and love, and love..as hard and as strong as we possibly can. That is one thing that cancer can't affect.

I am thinking of you and your Mum and please keep us posted on how things are going.

My mom was readmitted to the hospital last night. She had been at a nursing home temporarily to receive physical therapy because she had pain in her back and numbness in her leg. But, her blood pressure dropped and they thought she might need the services available at the hospital to get her blood pressure back up. We don't know why it's dropped, but she became very dehydrated, and the steroids might have caused some of this. We'll know more this morning. It was a long night....especially being so far away. I don't know if this is a major change in her condition or just a bump in the road to recovery....

james

Hopefully it is just a bump in the road.

I know not so long ago Buddy's blood pressure was so low I got really afraid. He was getting radiation at the time. We figured it was partly because he was getting two blood pressure meds together when they should have been 12 hours apart and the other part the dr didn't know unless radiation was doing it. It was very frightening...dr actually took him off of the blood pressure meds for about 4 wks. i ck'd two times a day and when it started going back up to normal, we gave him back his meds but 12 hrs apart. things are better now....Hopefully your mom's will get back to normal...

To all the brave souls on this board, my thanks go out to you. I'm afraid that for my mom, the disease is just too advanced and it's very aggressive. I'm flying back tonight to be with her and our family. We've rapidly gone from extension of life, to quality of life, and my heart if filled with sorrow to say that she won't be here with us very much longer. She has always had a great attitude, and still does, now. I love her, and I miss her but I have a deep faith that her loved ones on the other side are waiting in anticipation of a sweet reunion.

Blessings to all.

james

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JamesF

Thanks for all of the kind words and support.

My mom passed away friday, at home and surrounded by her children, older grandchildren and friends. It was a week filled with hard moments, but some incredible spiritual times that almost defy description.

To all of you fighting this terrible disease, I pray for your continued health and vigor. You're wonderful people.

James

James, I am so sorry for your loss. It would truely be better if not at all, but if the disease was that bad at time of detection, sooner may have been better than the altenative. Again, no disease at all would have been the best scenario...