new to lcsc

GERALDT

This is my first message. I just registered 5 min,ago. I was told I have lc small cell. I got the news 3 wks ago. It has already spread to my liver, hip and spine. They tell me I am past surgery and radiation. I am getting chemo, etoposide and carboplatin. Does this sound right or dose anyone know of other treatments. I think I am going to get a second opinion.

Hi Gerald and welcome

I am sorry you have need of a site like this, but glad you have joined us.

This is a very scary and overwhelming time in your life and so many of us here can relate to that. We are here to answer questions, offer advice, support and most importantly, HOPE. As Katie pointed out, this is not an easy fight, but there are survivors!

Let us know how we can help you out and please read through the survivors and good news forums. You will find so much encouragement there.

A good piece of advice for you which you will see mentioned throughout this site. Get a small notebook or an organizer to keep track of Dr appointments, tests and test results, and very important, write down any and ALL questions and/or concerns you have so you will not forget to ask about them.

Keep us posted. We care.

My best to you,

Chris

Welcome, Gerald. Yes, a second opinion is always a good thing. The chemo treatment you are getting is typical for small cell. Radiation is not normally used unless there is pain from the tumor or it is threatening the area (like bone fracture). Surgery is usually only done if the cancer has been contained in the lung (Stage I or II). The docs don't want to put a person through surgery when it has already escaped into the body. Keep us posted. Don

I am overwhelmed. I just found this site, registered and posted a message 2 hrs ago and I already have so many responses. You have all been very kind and already helpful. I am 66 and retired. I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. I am being treated at the kellogg cancer center at Evanston Hospital. When I read your notes I noticed that some of you have been fighting this thing for several years. That is comforting. I will make this a daily stop for me. Thank you. Gerald

Gerald,

Welcome also! Sorry you had to find us, but if one has to deal with this disease, it is a great place for support, information, etc. etc.

We are neighbors -- we live in the West 'burbs. If you need second opinion information, please feel free to private message me and I'll share our oncologist's info with you. (Although I know there is no good way to get to the western burbs from the northern burbs :shock: ) We were so impressed with him that we decided a second opinion wasn't necessary. We just wanted to get rolling with the chemo after Tony's wedge section biopsy.

Sounds like you are already on the right track for SCLC treatment. How often are you receiving treatment? I think typical (and I may be off here) is 3 days in a row every three weeks. Radiation may be off the table for the time being, but our friend did receive chest and whole-brain radiation down the road a bit and she had SCLC.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted. If you can include a bio, that would be great.

Welthy

[GERALDT] I am overwhelmed. I just found this site, registered and posted a message 2 hrs ago and I already have so many responses.

That was my experience too. I'd been home from the hospital just a few days, couldn't sleep because my unused muscles were bothering me more than my thoracotomy incision, was trying to figure out some safe exercises to do, Googled up this site about 3:00 a.m., posted, and in came the replies! It's far and away the fastest, most responsive, most helpful discussion/support group site I've ever found on any subject, bar none. Glad you found it!

One of the features I especially like is the profile of symptoms, treatments, results, etc. displayed at the bottom of a member's post. This always reflects that person's latest updated information even if the message is old, and frequently makes for more interesting reading than the words at the top. If you're writing a message, the profile saves you from having to repeat a lot of background and status information every time you post -- just plunge right into the subject at hand. To create a profile, click the My Profile link at the top of the page, enter/update your information in the Signature window, and make sure that Preferences > Always attach my signature is marked Yes.

Best wishes and Aloha.

Welcome Gerald,

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. But if you have lung cancer, this is the place to get information and support, and make new friends who understand what you are going through. This is a scary disease and we all need all the support we can get! We are all here for you.

God Bless,

Sharon

Welcome Gerald, sorry you have to be here but....we are a great group, glad you joined us.

I had carboplatin and etoposide (VP16)two years ago, no radiation and this latest time, Cisplatin and radiation and now I am on Navelbine and Gemzar. I have been living with lung cancer for over 6 years now and I plan on keeping on. Be sure to drink lots of water, don't let yourself get dehydrated and the drugs for nausea work really well.

Let us know how we can help you.

Take care,

Nancy B

Gerald welcome,

A second opinion is always a good idea. Here are a couple of web sites that may help you find a good place for a second opinion.

Stay positive,

Ernie

List of places by state that give second opinions

http://www.blochcancer.org/articles/xtrnew.asp

Top 50 cancer center rated by US News for 2006

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/bes ... hqcanc.htm

Gerald,

I am kind of a newcomer to his as well. My husband (age 51) was diagnosed on 10/10/06. I understand how overwhelmed you must feel. I can say that we have now simply settled into viewing this situation as another fact of life to be dealt with. I hope that you do the same.

I personally found it extremely comforting and helpful to look at many posts on this site (old and new) and see how many people are doing well, and simply living their lives in spite of their diagnosis.

I have spent many hours researching medical journals as well, and and believe that study results for this disease in 5 years (based on folks diagnosed today) are going to show dramatic changes from past results - there are so many new tools and treatments coming of age right now.

Best of luck, my thoughts are with you!

Welcome Gerald,

I had the same chemo treatments (3 days in a row, then wait 3 weeks and start over) I had a little nausea but took zofran and that stopped that. I lost my hair but aside from those 2 problems I was fine. Tired but fine. I wish you the best of luck.

If you prepare your profile it will save you rehashing your information each time you post. Just click the space at the bottom of your post each time.

Hi Gerald,

I am also your neighbor. I live southwest of Chicago. Although I had non-small cell, which is different from yours, I have to recommend the University of Chicago. That's where I had my surgery and I did consult with their oncology unit about chemo. I did my chemo here in my own city for convenience sake, but felt much better with an opinion from the University of Chicago.

Northwestern is a great hospital as well. That's where my sister had her breast cancer surgery. She also chose chemo closer to home.

Good luck to you.

Cindy

Hi Gerald,

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but glad you found this site. I'm fairly new to it too, and have found it to not only be a great comfort, but a solid source of experience and useful information. There is a lot of hope here!

The treatment you describe is the same as my husband is currently undergoing.

Teri