Hello everyone

Debra A

wow thank you all so much, I am so glad I found all of you. I did my pet scan but won't know until Monday at dr's appt at 11 am cst. I am really kind of scared to see the results, but I guess it is better knowing and then knowing what to do.

I am feeling this is all surreal ya know and then some days reality sets in and it scares me all over again. I cry and I have good days too. Thank you all for all your prayers and encouragement, it so does help me get through this.

hugs to each and everyone of you

Everything is going to be ok!

Debra A.

Hiya MsKim! *waves to ya* she told me about this place, thank you so much Kim! :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Debra-

It is scary before chemo begins - the unknown always is. But for me it wasn't as bad as I imagined - once you begin and know what to expect - the fear will begin to ease. This site is wonderful because as well meaning as family and friends are - thankfully they don't completely understand - but we do.

Bobbi

Welcome Debra.

So sorry you had to find us but as you see we are a very knowledgeable and supportive family here.

I know how scrared you are as we have all walked in your shoes either being the victim or caretaker.

Many people here are IIIB and are doing great years later. Please know the LC is not a death sentence, so get that out of your mind. There are so many more treatments now of days than ever before. If one does not work then they will find one that will. Hopefully when your tumor shrinks they will be able to operate.

Keep a positive attitude and faith that you can fight this thing. That will be half the battle there. NEVER GIVE UP!!!

My husband had the carbo/taxol chemo, which is very doable. He did not have the Avastin so I do not know if there is any differnce if that was added.

He had 4 rounds of chemo, 3 weeks apart. He did lose his hair and about 4 days after treatment he had flu like symptoms which lasted about 3 days then he was fine. He never became neauseaed but there is medicine that could help you with that if that occurs. He also had some good pain killers for the flu symtoms which help him tremendously. So be sure to have them if needed.

Side effects are different for everyone. But it seems most people who had that chemo breeze through it.

You will be fine. Just know that if that flu symptoms hits you, it is only temporary... you Will feel better in a couple of days. You may feel numbness in your legs or feet. If you do you may want to take vitamin B6 500mgs and if you want to add vitamin B12 1000 mgs. So that will help so it will not tuned in neuropathy which is common with that chemo. Neuropathy is numbness, sometimes temporary, sometimes permanent. My husband felt it mostly in his feet. He feels it very miminal now.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. Your doctor will take you through all the side effects that could and I say could happen.

Good luck! You will get through this this fine.

Maryanne :wink:

So Debra/Debbie ... I should be insulted that thus far you've received 33 responses to your initial post, compared to my meagre 10. Ah well, such is life :-)

And now, to be just a tad unconventional, I will welcome you wholeheartedly to this site -- even though I know it's the last place you want to be. Fact is, though, the best support you can get is from those who are dealing with this pesky cancer thing.

Rather than babbling on about stuff, I'll attempt to offer a few simple bullet points:

:!: Your diagnosis is not a death sentence. Far from it -- it's a very "beatable" situation, unlike being hit by a ten ton truck which has more serious and immediate consequences.

:!: Don't beat yourself up if you feel like you're not doing everything in your power to win. None of us are superhuman and you need to embrace those moments of weakness -- it's those moments that will make you stronger.

:!: Don't be afraid of the chemotherapy. Too many myths surround the treatment, mostly based on ages gone by when the medical profession was tinkering around with all sorts of goofy stuff. Fact is, today is a world away from yesterday and chemotherapy is now in its advanced stage -- little or no nausea, with tiredness being the biggest culprit. But heck, rather crash out and relax than spend a day with your head in the toilet bowl. No doubt in a hundred years time they'll look back on today and ask themselves what the hell we were thinking by treating cancer with chemotherapy, but this *is* today and it's working. Also, you'll find the chemotherapy environment quite relaxing and any fears you may have will be quickly dispelled.

:!: Try to see this experience for what it really is -- both terrifying and wonderful at the same time. Terrifying because what you're facing are unfamiliar waters and you have no idea at the moment how to navigate to the safety of dry land (but that skill will come to you). And wonderful because it releases your soul from the confines of ignorance. What I mean by that is simply that you are presented with opportunites to see much deeper into yourself and the world around you in a way that truly isn't possible unless you *are* dealing with something of this magnitude.

:!: Keep your friends and family close. Don't block them out, but let them share in your journey to recovery.

:!: And finally, have a great Christmas !!!!!!!!!!

Bill

[bware21] ...What I mean by that is simply that you are presented with opportunites to see much deeper into yourself and the world around you in a way that truly isn't possible unless you *are* dealing with something of this magnitude.

Bill -- Well said. I agree, but haven't seen it put quite that way before.

Debra -- Let us know how your first day of chemo went. From your profile I see you're on the same combination of drugs that I'm getting. Is yours on a 21-day cycle? My side effects have been quite predictable, with the most troublesome problem being rashes and sore spots on the feet during the second week. By then I'm over the first-week fatigue and would like to do a lot of walking, but don't -- not just because of the discomfort but because I don't want to risk a skin break or open blister when I'm at a white blood cell low point. So far it's been only one foot at a time, so I can still hobble around pretty well. Today is exactly two weeks since my last chemo session, and the second foot is quickly clearing up. I should be feeling good until the next session on 12/5 and about one day beyond, when I get the Neulasta injection.

Best wishes and Aloha.

Hello everyone :)

Well my frist Chemo was over on Tuesday 28 November and it wasn't so bad ya'll. I do have the achy thighs and hips but that just started yesterday day. I am very tired but I rest ..... it was scary but now I know what to expect so is not so scary anymore. I have a good appetite am eating also taking nausea meds just in case. Am drinking lots of water too like the chemo nurse told me to. I have my family and friends around me which is the best through this. My girlfriend even spent the 5.5 hours of chemo with me so we talked to other patients and had a good time with everyone there, yes it does sound like a little party doesn't it. hehe but it helps the time go by and the people were wonderful people just like here getting their chemo just like me.

Ernie I ate my way through my first chemo hehe :)

Thank you to each and every one of you that take the time to talk to me and help me through this time. You are all wonderful! Huge hugs to you all.

Bill thank you for your insight you have a great attitude and I am keeping positive! :)

hugs hugs everyone

Debra A.

Hi Debra,

I hope you are still feeling well. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 days for the chemo to kick in. But if it does just know that it is just temporary and you will be feeling better in a couple of days.

It amazing what the mind can conjur up when you hear the word Chemo. As you see if definetely is not what you envisioned.

Keep drinking water and rest, rest, rest... rest is healing.

Good luck,

Maryanne :wink:

Hey, Debra, way to go!

So far, your reaction to that particular chemo combination sounds remarkably like mine. It will be interesting to see if you get the same sort of skin irritation, especially on the sides and soles of the feet. As I mentioned earlier, that's been my most troublesome symptom to date, and really restricts my activity during that second week when I'm starting to feel good again otherwise. My onc says it's not classic hand-foot syndrome, which is common with some other chemo drugs, but some of the characteristics are similar. It didn't occur until the second cycle, but then the third cycle was an almost identical repeat of the second. Started the 5th or 6th day after infusion, then cleared up rapidly about the 14th day. I tried a variety of remedies -- cold soaks and Bag Balm seemed to help the most, but nothing made it go away except the passage of time. Like what's been said about the common cold: it lasts 14 days with treatment, 2 weeks without.

While Googling last night I found a Canadian site with some tips on hand-foot syndrome that are a bit different from what I've seen before. It lists some measures to take the first week after infusion, before the skin irritation actually gets started, which should reduce and perhaps even eliminate the symptoms for that cycle. Even if my problem isn't true hand-foot syndrome, these steps make sense to me and I'm going to try them next cycle. Here's the link:

www.cancercare.on.ca/pdfmedicationinfo/ ... ndrome.pdf

Aloha.

well ya'll, day 4 found me sleeping almost all day, which is a good thing right, sleeping is healing didn't someone say that up there hehe

I think I am on the upswing now and feeling better as each day goes by, I went out today to Wal-Mart and out to lunch with hubby was good. Had Miso Soup was so yummy and good for me and hot green tea yummy tempura and teriyaki chicken it was all so good. I have my appetite so I am doing well don't ya'll think?

You reading that book Ernie, is it any good? hehe

huge hugs to all of you

Debra

hey everyone,

Well I am going to second chemo on 12/19/06. I thought I was having my lung drained again, had my chest x-ray on the 12/12/06 but no word from dr. and he even put on the order need to see today. well so much for that idea, I called radiology to see if it was done and no of course not it was not done. This just makes me so angry, I hate the wating around. then I find out the dr and nurse are off on wednesdays so wouldn't have been done anyways..... do you think they could tell you that ahead of time? noooooooo of course.... so yesterday I was angry and weepy becaue i dont like the drainge this but it has to be done ya know.

huge hugs to all of you!

Everything is going to be OK!

Debra A.

Debra:

Even the best docs (or someone in their office) can let things fall through the cracks at times. We all have to be proactive, which I'm sure you are.

When I have an onc appointment, I generally call the day before to confirm the time and remind the staff that I had such-and-such a scan on whatever date and that the doc will be wanting to go over the results with me when I come in. Even then, sometimes they have to call imaging to transmit the pictures or report while I sit on the table wasting several people's time. So far I've been able to keep my cool, and I try to cut the office some administrative slack as long as they're medically competent and obviously trying to do a good job. Of course in the back of my mind I "know" I could do a better job as office manager! :roll:

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Debra,

The fluid may have gone down as a result of the chemo. I had about a cup drained for a biopsy. I still had fluid about three fourths up in my chest. The fluid went down 70% at my first check up scan and then went away completely. Let’s pray that yours is going away without draining.

When ever I go for a test X-ray or scan, I request a copy for myself on a CD and ask when I can pick it up. I also request that a copy be sent to each of my other doctors. They can put those X-rays on a CD.

Like Ned says you have to check to make sure everything is OK for your appointments. I get a print out of my next appointment, date of blood test and, or scan dates. I have this in hand when I leave the ocn’s office.

Don’t get upset with these things they just add stress and you do not need that. When in doubt pick up the phone and give them a call.

Stay positive, :lol:

Ernie

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! I have missed you all! My computer broke and hubby had to buy me a new one, so I have a new computer and have finally set up yay

I went through my 3rd Chemo went well and also had to get my lung drained again bah I don't like that part at all, but it helps so I shouldn't complain too much.

My fourth chemo coming up on 30 Jan. My pet scan/ct the dr said made the lymph node in my lung a little smaller so that is good, nothing spread other still the same, so he is thinking about maybe changing my chemo medicine, I don't know to what yet will have to wait until the 30th when I have chemo and dr appt before hand.

I hope all of you had a lovely holiday and may the new year bring us all to a good healthy one.

huge hugs to all of you

Everything is going to be ok!

Debra A