Alternative Therapies for SCLC?

Guest jellytine

Guest jellytine

Hi,

About a month ago we found out my mother-in-law has stage IV Small Cell Lung cancer which has spread to her liver. Her prognosis was 8-9 weeks without chemo and 9-11 months with. She is currently undergoing chemo, etoposide/carboplatin. While this will prolong her life the doctor's give no hope for a life much past a year. We have been trying to find alternative therapies to use in conjuction with her chemo. We have read alot about the benefits of juicing, supplements etc. Has anyone had or heard of success with these types of treatments or any others? I know the Gerson clinic is quite well known for this type of therapy.

Any help is much appreciated!

:cry:

I feel obliged to tell you that my mom's treatment includes the use of chemotherapy, herbs, supplements, special diet, breathing exercises, stress-relief techniques and other means of creating health. We were lucky enough to find an integrative cancer clinic [somewhat] closeby. To make a long story short she went from being Stage IV NSCLC to pretty much remission now. Our oncologist hasn't used that word yet because he still wants to do 2 more months of chemo, but he is very optimistic about her outcome.

Dear Jellytine,

Well, first off I would find a NEW DOCTOR!!! Just my humble opinion! I have a very dear friend how was a stage IV SCLC patient and her cancer also had traveled to her liver. Well, her first doctor gave her doom and gloom messages as well, so she fired him and went and got another doctor. Well, I'm here to tell you that she is now a 3+ years LUNG CANCER SURVIVOR with NO Cancer in her system. Her chemo's were VP-16 and Cisplatin. Same as what I had. So, before you go writing her off I would go get a second and even third opinon if NEED BE!

Small Cell Lung Cancer response very well to chemo's. (so I've been told)!

Good luck and God Bless,

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

Guest jellytine

Thank you all so much for your words of advice and support. We certainly are not ready to give up on my mother-in-law and more importantly she is not ready to give up on herself. We all believe that something more can be done and that the power of the mind and body is much stronger than this awful disease.

Hugs to all of you

Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL's SCLC. My Mom has it... I think that when people hear SCLC they think "the worst"... I think it is because of all the grim statistics out there.. due to the fact some are diagnosed too late... and hell if you average them in yeah the average life span is lower...we heard alot of that during the "battle" but I tend to think of it as a "mistake"...My Moms lung was collapsed.. we just wanted her to be healed.. And now she is in remission :D A collapsed lung.. Having spots on the brain, liver, pancreas.. doesn't mean death in eight months.. To Me it means living for ????????? I'm thinking on the conservative side

4 years.... to 20 years!!!!!!!!

Laurie

Jelly -

I have been trying for 15 months to get my husband to get a second opinion.

His doctor told him originally that he had 6-12 months. Then when Mike had a reoccurance in December of 2002 he told him he would "try" to get him two more months.

Well in three days...Mike has survived 4 months and STILL going...not as strong as he once was....but still has an appetite, still can go out and enjoy life to some small degree.

Tomorrow we head for Mayo Clinic to get that second opinion.

But I had to PROVE to my husband that different doctors approach things differently.

It's sad, but some doctors would rather "write you off" than to believe you can beat impossible odds. BUT IT HAPPENS EVERY DAY!

Love and hugs,