My NSCLC Story, 4 years later, CURED!

DougS

Hi all. Well there is some hope in this story for NSCLC people.

In March 2003 I was diagnosed with nsclc in the left lung. I smoked for 35 years before quitting 2 years before I was diagnosed. I was in Vietnam in 1965 and 1966. No one in my family tree has ever been diagnosed with Lung Cancer before me.

The tumor was the size of a large orange. The treatment plan for me was chemo to shrink the tumor and surgery to remove it after it died and shrunk. I went on taxol and carboplatinum. At my third monthly treatment I had a severe allergic reaction to something in the chemo. I was then put on something that they had to put a port in my artery for. I think it was gemzabine and something. Anyway it was terrible. I went back for the secon treatment and said I could not taske this anymore. And they doc said I could not anyway because my blood was too low and she said by the catscan that the tumor had shrunk anyway and it was time to go to the surgeon. I did and 2 weeks later they operated and took half my left lung. They came back 2 days later and said they had to go back in and take the rest because the margins were not clean. I said ok I just want my life back. So they did and i recuperated and had my catscans every 6 months for 3 years and there was no signs on recoccurence and then had the 4th year catscan and then I was told there is NO reason for me to come back anymore. I AM CURED as far as they are concerned. I thank GOD every day. I have and will 1 more time send flowers and a card to my surgeon at the Mpls VA hospital. It is time to enjoy the rest of my life. If anyone has any questions please email me. ANd thanks to all on this board for the support and info. God Bless you all.

Doug Sichler

• 3 months later...

I just saw this post... I am don't know if you come on here or not anymore, but I just wanted to say you story is so encouraging to so many out here.

Congratulations on being LC Free!!

Maryanne :wink:

• 5 months later...

Just reading your email from March this year. A huge congratulations that you are 4 years clear. My husband had his lung removed just over 3 years ago having had chemo first to shrink the tumour. Thank God he is fit and well today. Its is so good to hear good news. Keep it up.

Ann