advice on equipment to keep cool in hot weather at home?

Guest chillsey

Guest chillsey

Hi,

Being based in the UK we are now coming into the warmest summer months and I am concerned as to how mum will cope with the heat. She has NSCLC tumour in her left lung which also has collasped and has been permantely damaged. She has coped like this for a long while now but now she is 77 years old, this year will be much tougher for her. I am considering an air conditioning unit instead of a fan but knowing some air coolers can perhaps make a cough worse. Does anyone have any ideas what is best to use to keep cool at home, she lives in a small 1 bedroom property? She will also be starting chemo in the next few weeks and even on mild exertion becomes breathless. Also any tips how to keep cool when she goes out in the heat?

Many thanks

Chillsey.

Chillsey,

Welcome to the site. I am sorry you need to be here though. :( I can say this...as soon as my dad started treatment, he was always cold. So...I don't know what to tell you. He did lose over 40 pounds (he was overweight at diagnosis) through the whole deal, and that probably didn't help in keeping away the chills, but in general, he just was cold.

Best of luck!

Jen

Guest chillsey

Thanks Jen for your reply. I have read that chemo can make you feel cold. Mum will be having a mild dose of navelbine to hopefully control symptoms, radiotherapy wasn't a great success for her back in March and she is still suffering side effects from it. I pray she will have better results from this.

Good luck to your dad, may he continue to do well.

Thanks again.

Chillsey.

Hi,

Sorry about your Mom. Navelbine is pretty well tolerated by most people and my husband had some good time while on it.

Yes, people do get cold when undergoing chemo, but air quality is important too. She can always put a sweater or something warmer on. My husband is on oxygen all the time and his breathing is very compromised. We have central air (just replaced it with a bigger unit). We also put some type of two stage filtration system on our furnace when he was first diagnosed to improve the air quality. We run the air a lot during the hot, humid summers here, as it is very difficult for him to breath if we don't. He also gets winded very easily. If central air is possible, that would be great as it diffuses the air better then a window unit.

Take care and I hope her new chemo regimen does great things!

Welthy

I was in the midst of alimta last summer when a heat wave came along. I went to town posthaste and bought a unit that fits in my window and sucks in outside air. I think you would want to avoid a unit that cools inside air. I will probably use it for a few weeks this summer.

Don M

Guest chillsey

Thank you to everyone who has given me advice and support, very much appreciated and thanks to you all for taking the time to reply.

Chillsey.