Hi

mikemur

Hi Mike, welcome to the club nobody wants to belong to but we're glad you've found us. Let us know as much detail as you're able: extent of disease, treatment plan, etc and we'll help you all we can. There are many here with small cell who will be able to address your questions directly. Keep posting and asking questions and you'll get plenty of information and support. Good Luck & God Bless

wendyr

Welcome Mike,

Don't be afraid to ask any questions. The diagnosis tends to leave everyone in a state of shock and feeling overwhelmed. There are people here who have dealt with every stage of this disease and can offer wonderful, practical advice about treatments, doctors, side effects, and most importantly, surviving.

Susan

Hi Mike, as I type, I wonder if you are hearing the same siren as I hear. I am in Minnesota also. We have some in our face to face support group at Regions in St. Paul that are doing very well after treatment for SCLC. I hope your wife responds quickly to treatment.

Keep us posted.

Donna G

My wife Claudia has completed her first chemo and how has two weeks off before starting her second chemo treatment. Carbo Platinum and ept 16 are the two chemos being used and then Neulasta is given. Her White count was 1.7 last week. She has just had two really bad days lately on Chemo. I am wondering when this first round is over after 4 treatments, how long will the typical remission last and how good will she feel while in remission. Is short distance travel possible at that time?

Hi Mike, welcome to the site. I am so sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis. Of course, everyone reacts differently to chemo, but my mom had very few side affects during her 6 cycles of chemo. (other than low blood counts) We are taking her on a cruise in a few weeks. She will actually be starting a new chemo on Monday, but her Dr. assures us that she can travel and should feel pretty well. He will work her chemo schedule around the trip. So, see how your wife feels, but I'm sure a trip is certainly possible. Shelley

Hi Mike,

This is our story so far.

My husband had 6 rounds of chemo in the beginning (last summer) which lasted from April till September. He also had radiation during the first 7 weeks of chemo. He had low blood counts as well. He was told in October he was stable (nothing growing) At the end of December his PET scan showed a progression to his bones. In April of this year he had progression to lymph nodes.

Not everyone progresses with SCLC. Look at CindyRN. I love reading about her and Geri. They are both doing well after SCLC.

Blessings to you and your wife.

Hi, Mike, and welcome to the LCSC!

There's a GREAT amount of variability from one person to another regarding (1) how well one responds to chemo and (2) how intense the side effects are. From reading responses to your posts and by browsing through what's already here, you can get a feel for some of the possibilities. General health at the beginning of chemo, frame of mind (attitude), and genetics all have a role. It helps to keep a daily log so you can detect patterns that repeat from one cycle to the next. For many people, fatigue (partly or largely due to the Neulasta injection) is the most prominent effect felt during the first week, and others begin to show up as the fatigue diminishes. But as we say, everyone is different.

Some of the members who answered you before I saw your message (I'm out here in the middle of the Pacific) mentioned giving us more details. What they're referring to is a chronological profile of symptoms, diagnoses, treatments, test/scan results, response, side effects, etc. like you see at the bottom of most messages. To create or modify a profile on behalf of your wife, click "My Profile" at the top of the screen, scroll down to "Signature," enter/update your information, ensure that "Always attach my signature" is marked "Yes," and hit "Submit."

My best wishes and an abundance of Aloha,

Ned

Hi Mike,

Welcome here and also sorry you had to find us. But as you can see we are a family of friends who are here to help you through this.

First of all, LC is NOT a death sentence. There are so many different kinds of treatments out there and they will find one for your wife.

There are many stories here of people who have small cell and are doing just fine today.

Keep a positive attitude and make sure your wife belives that can be kicked in the butt!

Make a profile and keep us posted. We are here for you 24/7 for infomration, encouragement, prays or if you just need to vent.

We have all walked in your shoes and we know how scared you are. Once she starts treatment you both will feel so much better.

Good Luck! Hang strong... you will get throught this.

Maryanne

Mike,

At the top of page go to "My Profile" Go into the signature block and add your information. Then go to "Preferences" and mark everything you want including always add my signature. Then go to the bottom of the page and press "submit" That should do it. Good luck

Hello Mike,

Please know that you are welcome here and that I among many others are praying for you and your wife. I had non small cell. Last week I had an appointment with my oncologist. He mentioned to me that studies are showing that chemo and concurrent radiation is showing to be very effective for small cell lung cancer. Be sure to ask your oncologist about it. Prayers for a return to health.

Carol

I still can't see how you navigate this board but I'll just reply to myself and it will be posted somewhere. Most message boards are a lot simpler to use. My dear wife Claudia died July 26th and I buried her yesterday. Neither of us had read and heard anything about dying within a month of SCLC. Her oncologist said that maybe her tumor grew into an Artery and made it burst and that's what happened. She went quickly and instantly and that was good. She is in God's arms now and that's all that matters in the end. She was a deeply religious woman who was very active in a Catholic community 30 miles from where we lived called Holy Family Church in St. Louis Park. The medical community let her down completely and I will be back with more later on that subject. They did nothing for her from start to finish and she had the best in the Twin Cities - Park Nicollet.