News about Bill

teriw

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you all know that my precious, precious Bill passed away yesterday morning, one day before his 55th birthday. We'll be having a family birthday celebration tonight. He died in the hospital, despite our efforts to get him home and on hospice care. (The plan was for him to come home yesterday.) I took him to the hospital last Wednesday to get him better, but for various reasons that's not how it turned out.

I would like people to know that although his passing was physically stressful, he was emotionally and spiritually awesome. Thankfully a nurse alerted me to the situation when I told her he needed help breathing (that his body might be shutting down), and I was able to call his sister to be with me through the night. (Although I didn't believe it yet.) I had been at the hospital almost 24 hours a day. His sister had been with him all of everyday. And plenty of others too. He is SO loved by so many.

He NEVER lost his sense of humor. The nurses all fell in love with them. They were all crying with us yesterday morning. They'd come in and say, "how are you doing today, Bill?" He'd answer, "never been better!" He was keeping us laughing constantly. I could do an entire post on the funny things he said.

When he was alert and when the breathing intensified the effects of the meds just went away. He first said, "this is going to be great." Then he opened his eyes wide and said to us in a strong voice, "It's Party Time"! He then grabbed each of our hands and told us he loved us. Every so often he would open his eyes and have a smile. He was definitely seeing things -- nice things.

It's been a horrible couple of months for Bill physically. It's been amazing in other ways. He said the three weeks his family was here were probably the three best weeks of his life. We were all so full love and openness. I think that only truly comes in these times.

I have lots of support. Our pastor is actually flying home from a family vacation to do the service next week. I cannot imagine life without my Bill. We adored each other fully. All of my future dreams were dreams for us, and I know we'll be together again. He touched so many lives. I'm still not sure he really knew just how he did that. Many of you know he was working on a book. When the time is right, I will be doing my best to work with it myself -- it will be different of course, but what Bill has written thus far should be shared and I'm determined that it will be. He said to me, "I've done the beginning and the end so that if I can't finish it, you can."

I'm not sure if I'll be able to participate on the board. I don't know if I can do that, but we'll see. It's all so new and busy now. But I will continue to support LUNGevity. For Bill's service, we'll be asking people to donate to their favorite charity in his name. If they haven't got one, we will be suggesting LUNGevity.

I can't thank you all enough for your support and care during this journey. For anyone who is reading this and dealing with SCLC, I don't think Bill was the classic SCLC case. I think he had an especially aggressive cell. I really do. (I always said to him, "you always have to do everything to an extreme.") Please NEVER give up hope.

With love,

Teri

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very sad today, Teri. However, I believe the message from Bill that you've given us is so full of hope, and it means a lot. For him, it is Party Time...and he knew where he is going is going to be great.

It's sad we are not there with them today, but one day we will.

I hope for a lot of peace for you. I am very sorry.

If you need us we are always here Teri. I am so sad to hear this but am glad that You had some very special memories shared with us about these last days. Peace and strength for everyone tonite. My deepest sympathies and Most heartfelt condolences.

Will say a special Prayer for you and The Family tonite under the stars. :cry:

Teri,

Your Bill was so wonderfully awesome. I am so happy to know that he was recently baptized and that is the reason he was so thrilled to see the other side. What a blessing that is.

My prayers will continue for you through this and with tears in my eyes I say "goodbye Bill," you're really something!!

Teri,

My eyes are filled with tears. I came to the board this afternoon worried because we had not heard from you in awhile.

It's so hard to know what to say. I'm so sorry that Bill is gone, but at the same time, I'm so glad he is at peace. I can't imagine how you are feeling now, but please know that I am lifting you up in prayer for strength and for comfort.

Thank you for sharing Bill's humor, his spirit, and his courage. Please let us know how you are doing. We will be here for any support we can give to you.

Love,

Susan

Terri,

I am so very sorry to hear about Bill's passing. He was an awesome person, I loved his writings. I hope you can come back to this support group, you always have such positive things to say. It sounds like Bill and my mom would have gotten along great! My mom was the same way as she was passing-she called it a "celebration". Take care of yourself.

Hugs and prayers

Connie

Teri:

I've never known anyone quite like Bill. One of a kind! And you, Teri -- words can't describe your grace, strength, and compassion for others while under such unrelenting pressure these past months.

Those little snapshots of Bill and the nurses and the family in those last days are priceless. Thanks so much for sharing them.

With love and Aloha,

Ned

There are no words, Teri, to comfort you at this time. Bill was one exceptional human being, and we are all the better for knowing him. Although he posted only a few times, we all came to 'know' him through you. We are all here for you in whatever capacity. I'm sure those memories you shared with us are only but a mere few of ALL the ones you two shared these past weeks and months. Hopefully they will give you some comfort in the trying days ahead.

I am so very sad ~ please accept my most sincere condolences.

Kasey

Oh my gosh Teri, I am just in shock. I am so, so terribly sorry for your loss. This was the LAST post I expected to read today. I have been gone, so I wasn't aware that things were so hard.

Oh Teri, please know you have my heartfelt sympathies.

Eternal rest be granted unto him oh Lord, and may Your perpetual light shine upon him always. May he rest in peace.

Blessings,

Jen

Dear Teri,

It breaks my heart to read this news today. I've always felt a special connection with Bill. The first thing I did was pray to God and ask him to hold Bill tightly in his arms and tell him I said hi. And to reach down and hold you while you grieve. There is nothing I can say to ease your pain, but know that though I can't walk this path with you, I will be here to grab your hand if you need it. All my love and prayers. Liz

Teri,

I certainly didn't come to this board tonight expecting to read that Bill passed. There are no words of comfort I can offer, but I want to thank you for encouraging the rest of us to keep up the good fight.

As Bill would say "it is what it is" and from what you have described, I'm sure he is comfortable in his afterlife. I'm just so very sorry you had to lose him. Peace be with you and your family during this time of great loss.

Teri-I never expected to read this tonight. I can't even begin to express my sorrow for you and your family. I talked about you and Bill often even though we never met. I wish you much strength, peace and comfort on your new journey in life. If you ever need to talk please just PM me.

Dar