VATS

jenifer

i am scheduled for VATS removal of lower right lung on August 10th and am really wondering what to expect. I have a 1.7 x 2.5 tumor in right lung.. The PET scan showed no node involvement but they will biopsy nodes in upper chest as well as lower to make sure. My needle biopsy showed undifferentiated carcinoma, which i believe is not what i would have hoped for. anyway just looking for support and information [/img]

Welcome Jenifer,

I had the vats lobectomy, it is so much easier on you than the old fashioned break your ribs surgery.

I was in the hospital for about a week.

I can't tell you the normal recovery time because I had the complication of a plural effusion two weeks after surgery.

I Googled Vats and read up on it, I found a short video online that showed the procedure being done. I don't know if that would be too scary for you but it actually helped me because I saw that it was not nearly as invasive as I expected. I have a three inch scar in front and about the same size in back.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you and you get good news when you wake up from surgery.

I know it's a scary thing to go through.

My husband had both the traditional and also the VATS surgery.

The VATS was a faster healing with no breakage of the ribs(which is extremely painful). There was only a couple of small incisions compared to the big scar he had from the traditional surgery.

You will be fine. Trust me... VATS is the best way to go.

Please fill a profile out that will appear on the bottom of your post so we can know about your staging and what your treaments have been so far.

LC is not a death sentence as there are so many survivors and so many new treatments, You are VERT lucky that yours can be removed through surgery as only 1 in 4 have the option.

What do they have you staged at? Ususally, if you are IB to IV they will do Chemo after the operatation.

Good luck, keep us posted with your progress. Make sure they give you good meds when you get home. :D

Maryanne :wink:

what a great site this is!!! wish i had found it sooner. i'm not sure how to do this profile thing. but here is the info

middle of june had chest x-ray

then CAT

then PET

then needle biopsy

on July 3rd was informed by me doctor that I had undifferentiated carcinoma 1.7x2.5 in size

it appears to be stage I but they will finalize staging following node biopsy during surgery.

first I met with surgeon in Rochester NY who planned on during open chest surgery--I really wanted the VATS so I traveled to Buffalo as no surgeon is doing VATS lobectomy here.

surgery is scheduled for Aug 10th at Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo NY.

i'm 62 have 3 sons 3 daughter-in-laws, 5 grandchildren, and two more due (one in 7 days) a really nice man in my life who lives in Baltimore. 3 Dogs, 2 cats (one who just had his leg amputated) Today I feel wonderful, life is real good, and i plan on it continuing to be so!

To add your profile in... go to the top of this page click on where it says profile... a page will appear where you put information in.

Your profile, you put in the signature section.

Maryanne :wink:

Hi Jenifer,

If you click on the word Profile that you should see in the top upper right of the screen it should come up and you simple fill in all your info. That way you don't have to keep repeating yourself for us to know what's been going on with you. It is helpful to keep up to date and to better help you with any questions/concerns you may have.

Sounds as if you are sailing along on the right track. Good job so far. Also seems your life is pretty darn good too with all those who love you. Are you in the NY area? If so, there are some members pretty close by you. Good luck and keep us up to date.

Kasey

looks like you've been through a lot! it will be a while before we find out what stuff i'm really made of. Yep I have a lot of people to love. I's never perfect but always interesting!

thanks for the reply. i'm working on the pic thing. so far it keeps rejecting my choice--i think pic is too big?

jenifer

Jenifer...........if you're having trouble with the pic, you can send what you have to KatieB and she can post it for you. She is the founder of LCSC and she has done it for MANY of us who had trouble. Good luck......can't wait to see it!

Kasey

Jennifer,

Vats is an amazing procedure. I went to Danbury Hospital in CT and saw a presentation on it.

Dr said Tylenol is all the pain meds any or his folks ever needed.

You are going to do great!!! I'm "happy" to know someone who is a candidate for this procedure, you have a TON to be hopeful for.