My new diagnosis

Patty Gottlieb

I hope everything is going well after your chemo!

Please keep us updated - I don't post a lot, but I check in every day and it's hard not to get involved emotionally with everyone and what they are going through.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kerri and Patty,

Welcome to the site I am glad you found hope here. Patty I answered your e-mail as soon as I got back from our cruise. You have a good team to fight this. With a daughter named Kerri you can't miss. My only daughter is also Kerri. You are on your way to become a Survivor or as Lora Ingram says a cancer Thriver (not really a word).

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

"Leela"]
Everyone reacts differently, but my mom usually feels the worst about 2 days after her actual infusion. She is achy (mostly from the Neulasta shot we think), doesn't have much appetite and is wiped out. Then each day after that she feels a little better.

That's exactly how Mom is feeling, but I'm almost positive she wasn't given any shot of Neulasta. She is eating, although not as much as usual. But she does love the milkshakes my Dad is making her straight from one of the booklets Sloane Kettering gave us. I'll ask him for the recipe and then post it cause she's gained 6 lbs since she was diagnosed. But we're feeding her all good things that her body can handle. And we're keeping her dehydrated although she's beginning to think we're nuts cause we keep asking each other (my dad Andy & I) if that's a new glass of water/juice or the old. :)

Betts: Thanks for the post and I will definitely keep everyone updated. I know exactly what you mean. I lurked for 2 weeks, until my mom lead the way. I was always planning to post, just been SOOO tired lately cause I wasn't sleeping. Much better now.

Ned: I promise I'll start a new topic thread with a descriptive title so it doesn't get buried. But today I'm exhausted so I'll do it tomorrow. LOL Thanks so much for all the advice, it helps me to be prepared just in case. And that makes me feel better cause then I don't stress out as much.

Nushka: Thanks for the kind words, I hope it stays mild too. We actually went the real hair route with the wig cause it's all hand stitched and felt like silk on her head. We tried the less expensive ones on and it reminded me of my grandma (who I love dearly and miss but I don't think any of us are up to dealing with that) :( And she'll have it styled every week just like she does now. It was $1,500 but the family (especially my Dad & I) all think it's worth it cause her scalp is sensitive normally and it's going to get even more sensitive with the chemo. She can wear it straight or curly and it's going to be dyed and highlighted from a clipping the woman took of her hair now. We'll donate it when hers grows back and we know she won't need hers anymore and someone that can't normally afford it will get the same small peace of mind. Oh we also live on Long Island, NY where things do tend to get expensive in general. LOL

Rachel: Thanks, we do have a pretty great family. (We need a bashful emoticon so enter one here LOL) We don't do anything half way and we always stick together, especially as we get older and start having our own families. Like usually every Friday for the past few years, all the kids and grandkids go to my parents house whenever they can for "Friday Pizza Dinner" and we order out and talk for a few hours. We just enjoy each other, and sometimes fight and annoy one another as well. LMAO You and your kids are beautiful. They must be such a joy to you, but I can't even fathom how you are going thru this with young children. God Bless Ya!!! I know my nieces and nephews, especially the little ones, totally light up my mom's life, but they go home at night. LOL WOW!!!

I hope I didn't forget anyone. If I did, I'll post tomorrow. Stick a fork in me, I'm done. LOL I only live 15 minutes from my parents but I've been living in both places for the past month and my cat is leaving the nastiest messages on my cell phone. LMAO!!!!! Seriously though, my husband is awesome and completely supportive because his family is wonderful and they're all close-knit too.

So wishing everyone a good evening, I'll post an update on Mom tomorrow or most likely she'll post herself.

Kerri

"ernrol"]Kerri and Patty,

Welcome to the site I am glad you found hope here. Patty I answered your e-mail as soon as I got back from our cruise. You have a good team to fight this. With a daughter named Kerri you can't miss. My only daughter is also Kerri. You are on your way to become a Survivor or as Lora Ingram says a cancer Thriver (not really a word).

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Wow! All our family and friends know Ernie's Story!!! Don't get nervous LOL

See, I found out it was Stage IV first and after having a nice little crying jag, called my Dad and brothers and decided (with a Nurse from Sloane) that she would find out soon enough and we'd tell her only if she asked us directly. Did I forget to mention it was Monday August 27th, her 63rd Birthday???

So since I couldn't talk to my Mom (who's one of my best friends) about it, and my Dad and older brothers (they're fraternal twins) were in shock, I knew I needed to step up. We needed HOPE!! So I don't even remember what I put in the search engine, but I found Ernie's Story and this wonderfully amazing website!!

When my Mom did find out from the doctor 4 days later, I was armed and ready. I had printed out your story and some of the survivor stories. A day or two later, she went online, read some of the posts and ordered most of the supplements. Except the Noni and Pomegranate Juice and a few others, which she was already taking.

And when I read that your daughter was Kerri also (not the usual spelling), I knew there was HOPE. And instead of falling apart, we started reading books, websites and planning how we would get her better. We had already had one miracle in our family, why not two?

So I just want to thank you for inspiring me and giving me hope on a day I was so in need of it.

Hope you had an amazing time on your cruise!!!

Kerri

Patti,

So glad the first treatment went well. I know my mom was very relieved when they were not as bad as she feared. Mom is also stage IV. She was diagnosed in early January of this year with one tumor in her lung and mets to her spine and pelvis. She did radiation to take care of the spine mets and then 4 rounds of carbo/taxol. Her primary shrank by 1/3 and has been stable ever since. She has been off of chemo since May 2 and is doing great! I know you will too. Glad to hear that you have the wig and are prepared. Take it easy and do a lot of listening to your body. Rest when you need to rest, but go when you feel like going. Life goes on--that's the best victory!

Susan