phranc2002

Thanks Ned.

Not quite sure how to answer the question as to what kind of cancer was removed from my lip. The reports indicated small cell carcinoma - if that's what you mean.

The PET scan only revealed the one spot in my chest. Wouldn't the scan have picked up other spots if it had spread or is the PET not that accurate? The PET I had was a full body scan. They went to the knees. I guess cancer is not found below the knees. I would like to believe that had the lip cancer spread to or from another site in my body, that the PET would reveal that site. Is that incorrect?

Frank,

There are times when the primary source of a cancer never is determined. This happened to my husband's brother. They discovered brain tumors and knew these were mets from another source but never could identify the origin, despite pathology done on one tumor removed from the brain. It eventually metastasized to his adrenal gland, liver, and bones and they still had no clue as to the origin. Although his traveled to many of the classic LC sites, nothing ever showed in his lungs. Go figure.

Even in patients with full-blown cancer, scans are usually done at 3 month intervals.

Best wishes,

Welthy

"phranc2002" I would like to believe that had the lip cancer spread to or from another site in my body, that the PET would reveal that site.

I think it would, but only if the malignancy is large enough to register on the PET.

The pulmonologist may be able to give an opinion about any possible connection between the lip cancer and the area of interest in the lung. Small cell carcinoma is frequently associated with the lung, but that's not to say there's any connection here. I have no personal experience with small cell, so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree and there's no connection at all -- it's just a question I'd want to ask as a curious patient. While waiting for the appointment you might consider presenting your situation to Dr. West at onctalk.com to see what he has to say.

Aloha,

Ned