my father has lc

Liza

I am very sorry about your father's diagnosis. The only thing you can do right now is to be with him and learn as much as you can about his disease. In the beginning it is just so much to take in, so hard to believe that in an instant your life has changed that you just need to be there and support him and love him. He will get a treatment plan soon and there will be lots of appointments and he will need someone with him.

Let us know what his treatment will be. Ask any questions you have, we're all here to help.

Welcome to the board~

Rochelle

hi There. So sorry to hear your news. The first part is so stressful but it does get better. Please know there is always hope and pass along that hope to your dad. Tell him that people can and so survive this disease. Once they have it all figured out, a treatment plan can be put into place. I found I felt much better once I knew what the plan to beat it was. Hang in there, my prayers are with you and your dad

Hello Liza and welcome

I am so sorry you had need to find a site like this but very happy you found US.

Please keep us posted as you learn more about your fathers diagnosis and treatment when they begin.

As Ry and Sandra have already said, we are here for you.. ask any questions, and we know there will be many, and we will all do our best to answer them and offer advice, support and hope.

Lung cancer is not a death sentence!

Sending prayers and hugs

Christine

Hi, Lisa:

You're received some great advice already, and I'd just like to add my welcome. You've found the finest place on the Web for lung cancer support from the perspective of a patient and family member. For more technical medical questions, please visit onctalk.com. There's a wealth of information there, primarily on lung cancer, constantly updated by a Seattle oncologist who is an internationally-recognized expert on lung cancer and who gives high priority to promptly answering questions from people like you and me. A lot of us have "dual citizenship" so to speak, and have the same usernames there as here.

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Welcome Liza. I agree with what the others have said. In fact, I don't think you can have too much information. To get started, you might want to read the "sticky" posts at the top of the boards. They contain a lot of general info. about lung cancer.

It's really scary in the beginning, but it does get better.

Muriel

thank you so much for your support

my father lives in the u.s., i live in the philippines, we're filipinos

my sister, who also lives in the u.s., called yesterday to tell us that my father was diagnosed with lung cancer

both lungs, advanced, she did not say what kind of lc or stage, left lung has collapsed, terminal, doctor said about 6 weeks to 6 months

doctor said chemo may not work or that may father may not be able to handle it with his condition

he is 66 yrs old, very frail, lost a lot of weight, no appetite

my father himself refused treatment, he decided to just go home here in the philippines, he is packing up and bought plane tickets already

is there any hope?

Liza-

So sorry about your dad. As the others have said, maybe going home will help him to regain the strength he needs to fight this monster.

Continue to be supportive - it is HIS decision as to how he handles this. I cannot imagine what that feels like to you - and I hope you get to spend quality time with him.

Please come here often - we will all be here for you.

Hugs to you and your dad- Patti B.

Liza,

I am so sorry that you needed to find us, but since you are faced with this horrible disease, I want you to know that we are here for you and we will provide you with hope, encouragement, a shoulder to cry on, and whatever we can.

Blessings,

Jen

I know how difficult this is as I am both a prostate and lung cancer survivor. I fully understand the initial shock, but by contacting this support group, as I did, is a good beginning. Do learn as much as you can about lung cancer, help your dad become his own advocate and as difficult as this may sound at the moment, try to take control of this cancer and not let the cancer control you. Please have your dad keep all medical records and do what you can to both stay as positive as you can. Do not give up, keep fighting as there really can be daylight ahead. The love and support that I have received from my wife, Inez and my family, and from this support group has gotten me through some very rough moments. This support group will do this for you if you allow them too. Also make certain that you dad always has someone with him at a doctor's visit as four ears are always better than two. Do not be afraid to ask the doctor any question you might have, and frankly, if he does not answer you to your satisfaction and you are not happy, get another doctor. A second opinion is always a good idea. It is difficult, but you will get through this. You are not alone. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

hello guys,

i called my father the other day, i asked why he won't get treatment in the u.s., he said, first the doctor said he may not be able to tolerate chemo or radiation with his condition, second, that he would really like to be with us, his family

i asked him whether his insurance will cover his medical bill if he decides to get treatment there in the u.s., he said something like his insurance is limited or that my mother who is with him had used up his insurance for her visits to doctors (she has a heart condition and hypertension, but not serious), i think that this is another reason why he decided to just go home

i hope we get medical treatment here in the philippines as good as you have there in the u.s.

thanks for you prayers

-- liza

Hi Liza. You and your dad have my prayers. Maybe it is best that he be at home. I don't know what kind of treatment is available in the Philippines, but I think lung cancer can be treated in most cases. Tarceva is a possibility. I think you should visit Dr. West's site and post on the message board there. He may know something about treatment in the Philippines.

http://onctalk.com/

Don M

hi mr strahdawg (thanks for your kind words) hi everyone,

i e-mailed my sister, who is with my father, and asked her whether he is in pain, my sister said that yes he is in pain but not from cancer, instead the pain is from SHINGLES,

my sister by the way is a nurse and she explained to me what shingles is and that it can be really painfull, (i can't tell you how grief stricken i am to learn of my father's sufferings)

she said though that my father is taking medications for the shingles and that the rashes are getting better

is shingles a complication of the cancer or is it a separate thing? please tell me about lung cancer with shingles

hi rich, carol, steve, don, and everyone

i'm still here, waiting for my father to come home on april 3, i continue to read posts and messages for comfort, i just don't know what else to do and say at this point, just trying to be strong and hopeful

thank you for caring, god bless you all

Liza - regarding the shingles. I'm sure your sister explained to you that this isn't something you father just "caught" so to speak. Shingles are a manifestation of a viral infection that he already has. The virus that causes chicken pox never goes away but remains dormant in your body. Under a number of circumstances, the virus can become active again and cause a painful rash, usually along the back as the virus is dormant along the spinal cord. Among the things that could cause the reactivation of the virus, highly stressful situations, immunuosuppression, aging in general.

So it isn't really a separate thing, as it could be that the stress of the the cancer (you say he is frail) led to the shingles. But it also isn't a "cancer always causes shingles" thing either. Lots of cancer patients who have the dormant virus don't get shingles, lots of people with shingles don't have cancer.

Hope that helps you a bit though. It stinks that your father has to deal with that as well, but they are taking care of it and that is the most important thing, as it should not go untreated. He sounds like he is in good hands with your sister there too!

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone,

my father is with us now in the philippines

he is very malnourished (he almost did not/could not eat for about 3 months) but he is trying to eat now

his cough is really bad even with cough medicine

i try to convince him to see a doctor at least for the cough, but he won't go

his main complaint for now is his coughing

what else can i do for him? please help

Hi Liza. I am glad you have your dad with you now...so sorry he is not doing well.

The cough could be caused by some fluid build up and might significantly relieved if it was drained. The draining procedure can usually be done on an outpatient basis. It involves local freezing and putting a tube in side of chest and then draining the fluid out. I think they can only tell if there is fluid through a CT scan. Maybe he had one done in the past. If not, maybe you can convince him to get one of those done. This is just a possibility, as cough could also be caused by tumours. But worth looking into for better quality of life.

Hope this helps

You and your dad are in my thoughts

Sandra