? about Tarceva

Barbb

My friend at work found out recently that her mom has LC. I know nothing more, she doesn't talk about it. Her mom isn't having any chemo/rad since she is so ill, but my friend called last night to say the Dr. wants to put Mom on Tarceva. Is that something that is done often? Seems like all I've read here is it is given when the chemo has done it's job.

Barb

I am taking Tarceva as my first line of treatment,but not because I was too sick for chemo - instead I have a mutation called Deletion 19 that responds very well to Tarceva as a first treatment. Maybe that could be the case with your friends mom?

Janet

I think for certain forms of lung cancer, Tarceva is the drug of choice. My dad has BAC and right now is not on treatment, but if he needs treatment, the onc said it would be Tarceva, not traditional chemo b/c Tarceva works best on his kind.

It is frustrating when we hear about other people with LC and we want all the details b/c we know so much and want to make sure the patient is getting the best care :)

Barb,

My mom was given Tarceva as adjuvant therapy after her wedge section. The reason for choosing Tarceva had to do with her age (78 ), her health and the fact that it is known to be the mildest treatment they could give her. It may be that some of those reasons entered into the decision for your friends mom.

Sue

Tarceva does have side effects, mainly skin rash with some diarrhea and fatigue mixed in, but usually not the serious problems with blood counts like the harsher chemos can cause. So if a person is rather frail and it's thought that standard chemo might do more harm than good, Tarceva can be tried as a first-line treatment. Sometimes the response can be impressive. Aloha,

Ned