Introducing myself

gthappen

Cathy:

Congratulations on the "limited" diagnosis!

I have NSCLC, but I also had cisplatin/etoposide chemo, both of which I tolerated very well insofar as eating and upchucking were concerned. The only problems I had were with cell counts (anemia and neutropenia), but they will monitor your blood very carefully and be on top of that at all times.

Also, my blood problems (all of which were resolved quickly with medications) may have been exacerbated by the fact that I was undergoing concurrent radiation.

As to the upchucking, I did very little, but what I did earned me the title of "Perfect Puker" (I never missed the bucket once, for which my daughter was extremely grateful! :D)

Best of luck to you!

Affectionately,

Carole

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.--the late, great George Carlin

I also had cisplatin and etopiside (vp16) for nonsmall cell. I had my treatment Monday - Friday and then the following Monday, every 3 weeks for 3 rounds.

I felt ok during the treatment. I was definetly tired, lost my hair and had a little bit of neuropathy in my hands and feet. I never was nauseated but I lost 20 pounds.

My advise, Make sure that you get enough rest. Drink lots of water. Take the pre-medication even if you don't feel nauseated. Include a little exercise in your day even if it is just a walk around your house and eat small mini meals through out the day.

Good luck with the treatment, I have my fingers crossed that they will work their magic for you.

Wendy

make every day a celebration Lif eis more fun Like that!!! Hugs adn Prayers Your Friend IN Greensboro RandyW

Good Morning to all of my new friends:)

We went to UNC yesterday for some final x-rays and got home very late but with an amazing sense of graditude.

We will be staying at the Holiday Inn in Chapel Hill, which has been made an affordable option by the hospital itself. A shuttle will take me to the hospital for my appointments.

Aug. 4th is the day I get to launch my first strike against this horrible critter.

My Lord and Savior goes before me to prepare the attack!

Today we celebrate my daughter's 22nd birthday (a few days early--Plan B). We're having a cook out with lots of family and all the grandkids. I am BLESSED with so much love to take in today and carry with me down the road ahead.

Met with the chemo team yesterday also. I think I was the first person to tell them that I couldn't wait to get my chemo:))) I haven't had my regular remicade infusion for RA and I'm a hurtin unit in that respect. My rheumatologist told me that I won't even know I have RA once I start chemo. (a blessing in disguise!)

I'll come home for the weekends if well enough to make the 3 hour trip and will check in with everyone then.

My schedule runs like this: 9:15am and 4 pm: radiation, (about 30 mins each) for 3 weeks M-F and chemo at 10 am on M-T-W starting Monday and every 21 days after for about 2-1/2 months. (chemo will run about 5 hours)

How do I feel about the treatment?

Like when I was a little girl and mustering the courage to get into a swimming pool that was cold:)

Can't wade into this poool though, got to dive in!

I love you all for every word of encouragement, kindness and extended hand of friendship. I will be praying for all of you!

((((((((my Friends))))))))

Love,

Kathy

Hi, Kathy-

You sound like you're ready to take on this hurdle and get past it.

My wife Bev was diagnosed with SCLC Limited in Sept. 2004.

She was determined to fight with every thing it took.

Radiation, chemo and finally PCI.

She made it through and is alive and well, no sign of any disease.

I hope your treatments turn out easier than you might be anticipating.

Best Wishes,

Kathy:

You've got great "tude and that counts for so much.

Like you, I'm blessed with a loving family so I know, too, how very much that helps.

You go, girl! We're all behind you all the way!

Affectionately,

Carole

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.--George Carlin

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone

I am Kathys sister in law ..Trish

I just wanted to stop in and give you all a quick update....

She is without a computer recently and asked me to please update all of her new friends....

First let me say thank you so much for all of the support and encouragement you have given not only her but all of her family. It is wonderful to see the healing side of Cancer...You are all blessings ....!!

She is doing well...she is so strong and full of faith.

She has had a few days of nausea but as far as I can hear in her and my brothers voice they are staying strong. I am sure they have their own private moments but that is good. They truly are soul mates!!

I am hoping that she will be back online soon...but I will keep you all posted..

God Bless all of you

Trish