My Mom was recently diagnosed

Hi! So far, so good. Mom had her first treatment and she was quite the trooper! Had radiation and chemo on Monday. Was tired from the benadryl, just like you said (thanks!!) but basically ok. Had another radiation treatment today, still just feeling tired. No immediate allergic reaction from the infusion. Everyone at the hospital was great. The patient advocate sat with Mom and talked with her for a while..Mom commented on how nice this person was. Keep your fingers crossed. Couldn't have gotten there without all of your support, you got me through a rough week with Mom. thanks. Hopefully, everything will continue to go well. Susan

You're both doing great! My fatigue was usually at its worst the third and fourth days after the infusion, then energy started to return, just in time for the next cycle! :x But it was never so bad that I couldn't be productive during the day -- just meant that an afternoon nap was a must instead of a luxury.

Another common side effect is eating difficulties, not just from the change in taste (that can be overcome with willpower) but because of mouth/throat/esophagus irritation from both the chemo and radiation. We'll have plenty of suggestions for you if and when that starts happening. Keep in touch!

Aloha,

Ned

Hi Susan. This is all sounding very promising now. As well as withstanding treatments your mom is also in receipt of the kindness of people at the clinic. I have found that very special caring people work there and actually even enjoy and laugh at my visits to the chemo room. Unfortunately I have been there so often all the nurses know my name. I hope everything just keeps going well for you guys and that the treatments are not only tolerable but effective. Take good care

Sandra

If your mother is getting Carbo/Taxol on the every 21 days schedule, there will likely be significant hair loss. If she is getting it weekly, then the 'thinning' idea sounds about right. My sister got Tx every week rather than every 21 days and her hair thinned, and she sure noticed it, but other people didn't really notice it. Noticeable however was the loss of her eyebrows. Which seemed to really shock her, so I had to point out that they too are hair. :)

Good luck to you and your mother!

What started out as a good week for Mom is getting worrisome. Mom wouldn't go to her radiation treatment yesterday. Even though we know we should have strongly we encouraged her to go...we ) finally convinced her to continue. When my siste in law and I picked her up today, she was feeling slightly nauseous and said that she hadn't eaten this morning. She's unsteady on her feet and I feel like she's just dying in front of my eyes :( I am sitting here in the waiting area as she has her treatment, they are arranging for her to see the doctor after radiation. I'm having trouble keeping it together as I write this. Gotta go before her rad is done...don't wanther to see me like this. Susan

Susan, I'm so sorry for what you and your mom and family are going through. Mom may be wobbly and weak from not eating. I'm hoping others on site who have had radiation will come in. I know they have lots of experience and recommendations about what/how to get people to eat when on radiation.

In the meantime, I get serious naseau and the only thing that I want to eat at those times because it helps temporarily is bread--the denser the better so the grocery store bakery kind are my favorites. Bread with butter, sometimes also jelly, toasted or not and with a cup of tea is great. You might want to try making her a cup of tea with milk and sugar and serving it to her with buttered toast. Don't ask her first, just offer it. What do you have to lose if she doesn't eat it but the little time it took to prepare it. I think radiation affects taste buds so I figure approach it like you would a small child--just keep offering things until you hit on something she can/will eat. Just don't give up trying stuff no matter how frustrating because she needs her strength.

I wish there was more I could offer in the way of help/comfort.

Judy in Key West

Susan,

My mom did Carbo/Taxol and radiation (although she did hers separately). While it was no picnic, it was tolerable and she got a good response and was able to go without any treatment at all for 12 months. I had to keep pushing her to take her anti-nausea meds--she felt so much better when she did. With the two rounds of radiation she just completed she found if she kept a little something on her stomach it helped with the nausea.

As a child (even an adult child) it is hard to see a parent be so demoralized during treatment. I tried to keep my mom focused on the fact that feeling a little bad now could mean feeling really good for a long time later on. The key with radiation is to keep going.

I hope things start to get better soon,

Susan

After Mom's treatment we all went to lunch. she ate and felt better..we also went out to dinner and she ate some. looked better tonite than she looked this morning. We kept reminding her that Saturday and Sunday are her "days off"...maybe this in itself will be a reminder to her that the weekend is coming and help her to get through her second week and third. The CNP told Mom to look at eating as her job for the next 6 weeks....I'm happy to say that Mom's sense of humor is still with her..her response was that she was filing for unemployement than! Thanks again for all of your support......Love, Susan :)

Susan,

Bill, my husband, has had many radiation treatments for different issues, and he has had his bouts of not being hungry, and loss of appetite, depending on where the beams were directed.

At one interval, I can remember Bill eating mostly the same thing over and over, which was an Italian lasagna that our local pizzeria baked.

Frankly, the lasagna wasn't all that wonderful, but it was soft enough for him to chew/swallow, and he would wash it down with diet green tea. :roll:

He has completed a regimen of chemo, and his appetite is still not back to norm, but he understands that a loss of weight can go south quite fast, so he eats even if it takes him longer.

Lots of good wishes to you, your Mom, and your family,

Barbara

• 2 weeks later...

Was away for a week..Mom completed her second week of treatments with relatively no problems. She is experiencing fatigue and some mild nausea. Returned today...Mom wasn't able to go for chemo/rad today. Felt very weak and says knees felt like jello. She insisits that she's eating and drinking, although she did lose 3 pounds last week. Brought her a snowball to try to hydrate her, my brother brought her gatorade and here I sit. She did eat today....fruit, bagel, coffee for breakfast and waffles for lunch. She is so wiped out...this is so hard for all of us. Does anyone get cured of this horrible disease or are we just prolonging the inevitable. A 20-30% success rate doesn't sound so good.

Getting your mom through those treatments is what you need to focus on now. And fighting and encouraging her and telling her yes there is always hope. There are lots of long term success stories here. I am sorry she is having a tough time. Unfortunately for many there is suffering involved. But side effects can be dealt with. When going through chemo the most important thing is to drink, drink, drink. So focus on that and let her eat whatever she wants when she feels like it. Please don't get down so soon and DO NOT focus on any statistics. Your mom is not a statistic. Take good care of all

Sandra

Thank you again for all of your posts in response to my Mom. They really help..especially the first one from Ned which I read over and over. Mom is so tired all of the time now but truthfully, she is really tolerating her treatments well (knock wood!). The doctor suggested a small dose of ritalin to boost her energy. Has anyone heard of this treatment? Let me know. Thanks! susan