Miso Soup with Scallions

MsC1210

Miso Soup with Scallions

Did you know that Miso Soup with Scallions is actually an ancient herbal remedy for colds?

In 300 AD famous herbalist, Ge Hong, writes about Miso Soup with Scallions in a book called, Bei ji zhou hou fang or Emergency Formulas to Keep Up One's Sleeve.

The soup is indicated for the onset of a cold when a person is just beginning to feel a headache, stuffy nose and a slight fever. So, the next time you feel a cold coming on, be sure to have your miso!

Miso Soup with Scallions (Serves 4)

Ingredients:

6 cups water

3-4 Tablespoons Aka Miso or red soy bean paste (usually sold in the refrigerated section)

3-5 green onions stalks, chopped

Directions:

Dissolve the miso in a little bit of boiling water (about 2 tsp.)

Bring water to a boil in a saucepan and add the miso & scallions.

Simmer for 5-10 minutes.

Remove from heat top with green onions and serve.

Variations: you can add various other ingredients to make a more substantial soup, such as tofu, seaweed, fresh mushrooms, cooked shrimp, snow pea sprouts, cooked rice

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Christine and thanks for the posting.

I love Miso soup, but never thought of trying to make my own (I've never been known for my cooking skills, actually). :D

I just added Miso to this week's grocery list though as I already had green onions on it (love 'em) so will definitely be trying it out next week.

Thanks again and hope you had yours had a good holiday.

Affectionately,

Carole

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.--George Carlin

Carole

SO GOOD TO SEE YOUR POSTS!!!! And I hope you enjoy this recipe. I had never had miso soup before until the local Chinese restaurant that I like so much had it on a lunch special. I've been hooked since then!

It is one of those "feel better" things that definitely hits the spot when colds and allergies hit!

Warmly

Christine

Hi, Christine and thanks. It's great to be back!

I just took another look at the "variations" part, after which I added shrimp and snowpeas to my list (I already have mushrooms) and since today is shopping day, this weekend's menus will definitely include miso soup. :D

Affectionately,

Carole

PS I'm not a tofu eater usually, but I can tolerate it in miso soup, but think I'll stick with shrimp for protein since I have a choice. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Chris.

Just a quick note to let you know I haven't forgotten our miso soup, just haven't made it to the organic store yet.

My mom flew in last week and between her visit, my TIA and my Inauguration Day party, I'm behind on everything. :(

The good news is that tomorrow afternoon my hospice volunteer is taking me shopping so I should be able to report in this weekend. :D

Thanks again for posting the recipe... my mouth's been watering for weeks. :lol:

Affectionately,

Carole

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.--George Carlin

Well, I now have the ingredients, but (unfortunately), this was a "fatigue" (and stress) weekend so I'm going to wait 'til my cousin arrives on Tuesday and we'll make it together (translation: she can make it while I hover nearby :D).

Affectionately,

Carole

Treasure every moment as if it were your last.--Carole Hammett