17 mos. post diagnosis/Rookie in this forum

I have to say that I agree completely with Ned and UneasyRider...Facing this, even as a caregiver, makes you much less tolerant of the pettiness and BS. I find myself at work thinking they just need to stop their whining. Half the time I want to tell them that in the big picture of life their issues are minimal ... if anyone should whine it should be me. I'm the sole caregiver for a cancer patient and a 6 year old.... lets see you make that work guys.. The other half I wonder what they have going on in their personal life that is contributing to their state of mind. I can be pretty judgemental and I've always know that about myself but I think I'm much more aware of it and trying to correct it now. You never know what you will do when you walk in those same shoes. My biggest pet peeve right now is people telling me that I need to "make Gene do this, or make Gene do that". First off, he is the one with cancer and only he knows how he feels and what he is able and wants to do. Secondly, he is a 53 year old man, how do I make him do anything? Everyone is saying, oh he needs to get out more, he needs to do this more, he needs.... How the heck do they know what he needs? They don't have cancer and even if they did everyone copes differently.

Okay, I realize I just went off on a tangent....can you guess that I had a bad weekend with family????

• 2 weeks later...

I recvd good news today. My PET scan of 2 days ago shows no tumor growth. I feel like a new man! The pain around my heart has gone away, as has the pain on the right side of my chest, which was likely related to the tumors there. My appetite has retuned as well.

I know nothing is permanent; I am enjoying now, now.

I did a bit of celebrating this afternoon w/ my brother Mike at the Kinsale in Boston, upon receiving the good news. I am back at MGH now awaiting my infusion.

I can't thank everyone enough who wrote me here in this forum. Men, women, older, younger. It makes no difference. The unqualified support that I recvd here really helped get me though the last couple of weeks. Sometimes my friends and family just don't know what its like or I don't feel totally comfortable dumping everything on them.

I came across a bit of Samuel Beckett's "Worstword Ho" the other day. It struck a chord for me. I think it speaks to the futility of out struggle w/ LC. But that doesn't change the fact that we still have to get up after falling.

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

• 4 weeks later...