32 year old Adenocarcinoma Just diagnosed

maryspice42

Unfortunately, yes, there are others out here just like you guys...See my wife's chronology below. I'm sorry that this happened to you and your family.

Where are you at in the process? Has the cancer been staged? Has a treatment plan been put in place? The more we know about where you are in the journey, the easier it is for us to help you.

If you would feel more comfortable, feel free to PM me with any questions, concerns or fears that you may have.

Hi Mary-

Sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis.

The beginning is so scary because you really don't know what you are up against. Once a treatment plan is in place,you will feel better.

I agree with JB, please let us know your husbands staging, treatment plan if thats in place yet, and whatever information you may have. You can start a profile which will show on the bottom of your posts.

Please, please know that lung cancer does not have to be a death sentence. There are many of us who are doing well. And please, don't ask your doc for statistics and time frames - they will do nothing but depress you. I was told 12 months tops and in two weeks I will be at my three year mark. We have a member here who is Stage IV and at his 7 year mark.

Another piece of advice is to take a notebook or even a tape recorder with you to doc appts. There is so much information being given out and sometimes we come home and cannot remember an answer to a specific question.

Feel free to come here with any questions or problems you may have. Someone here will have been there, done that.

Please keep us updated on your husbands progress.

Hugs - Patti B.

I was 34 when I was diagnosed, and a lifelong non-smoker. I was diagnosed six years ago, and treatment options have changed since then. I have been cancer-free since my surgery in 2003, as you can see in my profile below.

Welcome to the family, I'm sorry you have to be here.

Becky

right now Yell scream Cry Do whatever emotion hits You at the time. Get ready for a fight though. WHen the treatment plan is in place things usually calm down somewhat because there is a sense of relief that something is being done.

Right Now Adenocarcinoma is the most common type of Lung Cancer. That is good because it means it is the most researched.

We do have a adjacent site that we use for medical info. Dr. West runs A site that is dedicated to Helping Lung Cancer Patients with all of their Medical questions..

Here is the Link! Most of us are members there as well so you will see a lot of the same people.

http://cancergrace.org/

when ya get a chance, Take a look thru the good news and inspirations Forums. They can lift ya up and give you some encouragement in addition!!

H Mary:

So sorry that you have to be here, but you will find a lot of support on this site as you and your family go through this. My best thoughts and wishes that you and your husband manage to get through this and you both will stay stong and continue to fight throught the next trying times.

Hi, Mary, welcome to the group! You have found THE BEST PLACE on the Web for personal support. Combine this site with the amazing resource Dr. West and others have created at cancergrace.org and you'll have little need to search elsewhere.

As you probably know by now, adenocarcinoma is the lung cancer cell type least associated with smoking. But as Randy said, it's also the most common type, and therefore the most studied. When you get details on your husband's "staging" (I thru IV) and what treatment options are being discussed, please give us an update. There will be members here who have had the same or very similar treatment who can give you both some real-world perspective and tips.

It's been a little over 3 years since I got my adenocarcinoma IIIb diagnosis, and though that stage is considered "inoperable and incurable," I'm doing pretty well. I've been on one treatment or another for the entire time, and there's never been a day when I couldn't do something productive. My main problem at the moment is anemia — long-term chemo can damage the bone marrow, which produces red blood cells — and therefore I tire easily and get short of breath with exertion. Currently my wife is on a trip to the mainland, so I'm fending for myself and also taking care of our energetic golden retriever. I'm not up to those 3-mile power walks they both enjoy, but Rosie understands that and seems quite content with our shorter excursions. Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Welcome Mary,

Other have given you lots of good advice as well as directions to GRACE. I'll just say we are here to help answer questions, share experiences and let you vent. The shock from the Dx probably hasn't worn off yet. My mom wasn't a smoker either and her Dx just hit like a ton of bricks. But the shock gradually wears off and you learn to live the "new normal." We will be here to help you find your way.

Susan

Welcome Mary. I agree with others who say this is the place to come for emotional and informational support. Add to that the expertise of the oncs on cancergrace.org and you will have an awesome support system. Don't know how I'd have lived through the first year without it.

I'm one of the older-timer survivors, going on two years following a dx of IIIb adenocarcinoma. My heart just bleeds when I hear of someone stricken at the age of your husband and with small children as well. It's true that the hardest time is the beginning before the treatment plan is in place and your husband finds how his response to it will be. It's not the treatments used in your fathers or grandfathers generation. They have made great strides in minimizing side-effects and increasing effectiveness.

Hang in there and keep us posted.

Judy in Key West

Hi Mary,

I am sorry that you are facing this disease with your husband, but there are many treatments available today.

My husband is a 4-year, 9-month survivor of adenocarcinoma, originally stage 111B and progressed the first year to stage 111B/IV. Bill was determined to be non-operable, but treatable.

IMO, you will not find a better place to come and receive great support, and as the others have told you, the addition of Dr. Jack West is a fantastic benefit.

It's a relief to find support and information.

Please let us know how we can help.

Barbara