Support group grief

Joppette

Hi,

As many of you know, I'm very active at Gilda's Club. I am there at least two days a week, attend a support group, and am a lung cancer mentor. I also speak on behalf of the club at public functions, advocating for those of us with cancer.

Tonight a very sweet friend of mine died. I've known her since her cancer jouney began, which started 3 years ago. Her name was Kathryn. Her battle with lung cancer was a long one, and she tried everything, from every chemo available, to trying to be accepted into treatment trials. She fought to the very end. Sunday she fell and could not get back upl. Her son convinced her to go to a Hospice finally.

I visited this afternoon, and prayed a prayer for her and her family. I held her hand for an hour and listened to her son tell me stories. I knew she would not be with us much longer, based on her breathing and pulse. Reluctantly I left knowing that her son and daughter needed to have private time with Mom before she left.

She died at 6:35PM.

It's been a rough road at the club. Recently we've lost two to lung cancer, one to breast cancer, and one to lymphoma. Too many people in too short of a time.

We have a 32 year old young man that is soon to lose his battle with lung cancer, and another young woman to breast cancer.

I posted her last post on facebook. She said a saying that touches me deeply. It is "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain".

I need to learn to dance in the rain. I'm about to face a new journey with my lung cancer. It may be nothing, it may be more. But this I know....we only have one day and it is today. I pray to just learn to dance in the rain, and take it one day at a time. That is all I have, that is all we all have.

I don't know why I wrote this tonight, but I did. So be it.

Judy in MI

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain".

Judy - I am very glad you wrote this tonight. I've been struggling with losses of several friends lately, although not so many as you or several others on this board have had - but it has been getting me down. I think I'd have this saying tattooed if it was a bit shorter, but maybe I'll settle for having it engraved on a bracelet or something -- somewhere I will see it every day.

I am so sorry about your friend. I think it is a wonderful thing you do to keep up the support of all of your groups even while suffering these continuing losses. It takes a very special person indeed!

Diane

Judy, you are amazing. I commend you for all you do at Gilda's. It has to be so hard. Having to deal with your own cancer is such an emotional drain by itself. I'm praying for good results on your upcoming tests. I love that quote too. God bless you and you will have bright tomorrows.