final update

izzyleung

Dear all, my dad fought a hard battle and succumbed to the disease last monday. He passed away peacefully at home with family by his side. I cannot believe how fast this all happened and it felt like it was just yesterday before he received the illed diagnose. 13 months of time, the diseases robbed his life and me of my father. As we try to cope, i cannot help to wonder why he was so unfortunate? he was recently retired and has a brand new grandson, life has been very cruel to him and our family. I hate it that modern science cannot cure his disease; I hate it that it cannot explain why some smokers got the disease and some dont and why some got non-small cell and some got small cell. Is it something that he did wrong or we did wrong? It is hard to let go, even though we thought we were prepared for the worst. At age 65, my dad left me. he will forever be missed.

I am so sorry to hear this. Cancer makes no sense at all. It is a horrible disease and no one should have to suffer with it. As Katie said, please come here any time you want - it is a good place to vent. There are many who have lost loved ones who have been where you are.

My prayers and condolences to you and your family for your loss.

That your father passed at home with family is a blessing. With this Beast, we have to be grateful for every little thing. Unfortunately, I find myself on the same road. I feel sorry for my caregivers, the grief the Beast does and will cause them. I'm sure one of the things that most bothered your father was the heartache that his disease cause to his family. Rick.

• 4 years later...

You nor your father did anything wrong or anything to deserve cancer. Cancer just happens and people who smoke just take the chance of getting lung cancer even though they don't think about it happening to them. My father passed away 1 year and 4 months ago. I now have SCLC that is metastatic. Of course this makes it twice as hard for my family, especially my mom. Cancer is not something that is always fair. As much as you miss him, as I do mine, the pain of loss gets easier with time. Just remember your father is now at peace and without pain. Your's will come too in time.