A hopeful hello

Sejohnson37

Hi my name is serena and my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 nonsmall cell lung cancer 16 days ago. I am trying to be strong but am terrified. She has been suffering from chest pain for about a year and has progressively become chronic the lady 6 months. After being admitting to the hospital it seems like she is just getting worse by the day. To make matters worse she is uninsured until the 1st if the year and doesn't qualify for assistance. She is the glue in our family . W e have no clue what to do... Anybody dealt with the same situation ?

Hospital or cancer center social workers tend to know the ins & outs of the available forms of assistance with the costs of cancer treatment. Is that service available in your area? You could also call your county government -- they sometimes have programs that fill a gap between state programs and Medicare/Medicaid.

If you're willing to talk about it, how is the testing and treatment planning coming along? Have they determined the specific type of lung cancer? Adenocarcinoma? Squamous cell? Large cell? something else? (NSCLC is a pretty large category, and the specific type can change testing and treatment options.)

Best hopes,

Craig in PA

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mother :( The first thing I would suggest you do regarding medical coverage for her is talk to her doctor or one of the social workers in the hospital. There must be a way they can help her. No one should ever be turned away when they need medical care.

I hope you get some good news and that you will return here if you need us. If you have questions we will try our best to help and if you simply want to vent and cry.....we're here to listen as well.

Hugs and prayers for you and your Mom!

I want to welcome you also. You are at the beginning of all of thsi and it can be very scarey and confusing. I found that there are a lot of services available, sometimes they are very hard to find. It seemed that I had to do a lot of researching to find help - almost like they didn't want too many people to know about it. My cancer group didn't have any social services, but I think most do and I second what the others have said -- I would start there and keep bugging people.

Please let us know how it goes.