Thought I had Pneumonia/SCLC

Jody

I had been being treated for pneumonia for 2 months, but my sodium and potassium levels were dropping and the dr.'s did not know why. I did have pneumonia but was diagnosed with sclc. Chemo was started in hospital, went back in hospital for port to be put in, plateletts were low then, went to Cancer Center for Chemo, will be checked today and I am supposed to have one more chemo, then in approx 3 weeks check blood, do last chemo with radiation. Dr. said then he would rescan. Said I am terminal, and have 30% chance. Have had bone scan, it is not in bones THank the Good Lord, but needless to say I am scared of what is to come.

Jody

Hi Jody and welcome, I agree with with Carol on getting a 2nd opinion and hope you are being treated at a cancer center. Any more there are alot of small town hospitals who think they can treat cancer and in my opinion they are not qualified. I wish you the very best and please post any questions you may have.

It all happened so quick. one afternoon I was diagnosed...2 hours later the cancer dr. was there 6:00 am chemo wa started...I do not even remembr signing any papers. Yes I am going to the Cancer Center here in Huntsville, Alabama..These people are great...I think my diagnosis was pretty right on..full left lung and glands...but my treatments have worked better that my doctor has eve seen...says he cannot believe it..for someone who was almost on a ventilator and now breathes onher on at 98 every morning...I have the little machine to check at home....I am trying to stay positive even though the doctor said..you are terminal and will never be cured..you have a 30% chance to live. Part of me wants to die and just get it over with..the oher part of me is just scared to "Death". Thank you both for your posts. It means so much to me.

Jody - it all happened very quickley for me also, one minute I was at the doctor's with a sore back, the next I was in the ER being told I had stage 4 lung cancer. That doctor also told me I was terminal and would not live to see another year. That was 6 years ago!

Keep a positive attitude, get other opinions, just to be sure and keep coming here to ask questions and let us know how you are doing!

peace

Janet

Jody....I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Please read our other forums. You will see many survivors here who proved their doctors length of survival "wrong". Keep a positive attitude and please let us know how you are doing dear one. We care ((hugs))

• 3 weeks later...

I am so glad you responded so well to treatment. That in itself should tell you docs that their numbers mean nothing :shock: Wonderful that it's not gotten to your bones either. Every bit of good news is something to help you feel that you are doing better than they thought you would.

As said above, many people here are proof that only your creator ~ what ever you believe ~ knows when you will return to their side. I also agree with Mike. Of course I may not be right, but I tell all my friends to find a cancer center. At the very least you are not sitting next to people with flu, rash, any sort of contagious crud and at best you find docs who know that this plus that squashes them.

Wishing you continued improvement!

Mary

Hi Jody!!! I am terminal too and I dont have cancer!!! My late wife did though so here I am helping everyone else around here! dont put a lot of faith into the you have this much time talk. A lot of folks here have out lived their doctors so many times on that talk its kinda funny to hear it anymore... Only the good lord knows when he is coming to get us so dont let the fear take over . Kick the cancer out and get on going on with life as we like to think...

Take a look through the good news forum and the Inspirational forums for the truly uplifting posts of this disease. they will help you with the fear and the apprehension of things I think...

Welcome Jody. I missed your initial post somehow. I have to agree as well with what everyone has said about a cancer center. I live in a smaller town and we do not have a true cancer center here and I think it is always worthwhile to get to one if at all feasible. I have to admit I'm confused by your doctor - he says you are terminal but you have a 30% chance. Doesn't make much sense to me - and as you can see if you check out some of the good news forums that there are many of us who are here way beyond what anyone expected and we are not planning to go anywhere soon. I know it is really scarey sometimes - but as Randy said we are all terminal and we just need to live each day to the fullest and let tomorrow take care of itself. This month is 15 years since my first lung cancer diagnosis - and like Eric, this fall it will be 5 years since my second. I can tell you that no one, least of all my doctors, thought I would still be here enjoying life.

Please let us know how you are doing.

Good Evening Jody,

My apologies for my late welcome to LCSC,goodness knows how I managed to miss your introductory post?.Sorry to hear of your dx,I really dislike Docs playing God giving out unsolicited expirey dates,wonder why they do that?,must give them a buzz,knowing they are on the other side of the dx?.Its certainly been my personal experience being told by my Doc and my lung nurse that I had only 2 years to live max,well that was almost 5 years ago.Diane and Janet are further examples of success of living with lung cancer,my buddy Robert Lowe is in his 20th year of surviving SCLC and NSCLC,having originally been given in 1993 only two months to live.

Its a pleasure to meet you,I look forward in getting to know you as you continue to keep in touch with us here.Best Wishes.