Whole Brain Radiation Surviors

Don

Hello All,

I am trying to gather information from people who have had Whole Brain Radiation. As you know I also have had SCLC and now NSCLC. I have had gamma knife myself. I talk with many people about SCLC and treatments and I am trying to gather information on side effects and how long since your treatment. I hope you respond but please only those that have had WBR. Thanks so much.

God Bless

Don

• 2 years later...

I was diagnosed with a stage III lung cancer in April 2008. After a summer of radiation and chemo, followed by a lobectomy of my upper right lung, more chemotherapy, and ending with prophylactic whole brain radiation 10 months later.
Over the past year, or probably longer, I have been experiencing situations of being overwhelmed to the point that I must rest; slow processing information; slow to react; too much distance between thought and speech; loosing my train of thought in conversations; memory inconsistencies; easily disoriented, and more.
I see a neurologist, had neuropsych testing, and was prescribed aricept. I do not have Alzheimer's.
In addition to all the chemo, my new concern is progressive side effects from whole brain radiation.
Has anyone else experienced this?

NOW in 2016, I am taking Namzaric which combines memantine and donepezel in one pill as prescribed by neurologist. I take nuvigil on a daily basis to combat fatigue. 

My radiologist said I would not be here without brain radiation. She said we are in uncharted waters in my post treatment because we have so few survivors who had brain radiation.

I am coping with the side effects of brain radiation by stopping or reducing activities that I are difficult and taxing, but also trying to find new things that I can do.

Would I have this treatment again? Yes, absolutely. I knew the side effects going into treatment and was not surprised when they appeared.