Help with Understand Test Results

LSU Girls Rock

NO SUGAR COATING NEEDED

I AM CAREGIVER TO lc pATIENT

I WANT TO UNDERSTAND THIS COMPLETELY BEFORE ONCOLOGY APPOINTMENT TOMORROW.

THEY SAID IN REMISSION,

HOWEVER, HE IS WORSE THAN BEFORE DIAGNOSIS. (COUGH IS WORSE, SLEEPS DAYS AT A TIME, NOT EATING VERY MUCH OR OFTEN, CANT BREATHE, OUT OF BREATHE,ETC.) 

COULD SOMEONE READ THE FOLLOWING AND GIVE ME YOUR OPINION ABOUT THE BOLDED SENTENCES OR WORDS?

(YES THE ONCOLOGY DR. WILL TELL US BUT TOO HARD TO UNDERSTAND, VERY VAGUE, TOO MANY WORDS OVER OUR HEAD, HORRIBLE BEDSIDE MANNER- CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR NEW ONE)

I READ DEFINITIONS BUT NEED TO KNOW MORE AND CAN NOT FIND IT. THIS WAS TAKEN FROM A CT SCAN- CHEST ABDOMEN AND PELVIS WITH CONTRAST:

1- WHAT IS THIS--atelectasis

2- WHAT IS A PLEUREL EFFUSION?

3- WHAT DOES THIS SENTENCE MEAN? "have some component of loculation. No enhancement within the effusion."

4- WHAT DOES THIS SENTENSE MEAN? "Aortic atherosclerosis with

patency of the origins of the great vessels."
5- DOES IT APPEAR THE CANCER IS BACK OR WORSE?

Lungs: Redemonstration of postobstructive atelectasis involving the
right upper lobe, not significantly changed.
Remainder the right lung
demonstrates some compressive atelectasis due to a moderate-sized
pleural effusion. Left lung is clear. No consolidation or nodules on
the left.
Pleura: Redemonstration of a moderate sized right pleural effusion
which appears to be increased in size particularly anteriorly and may
have some component of loculation. No enhancement within the effusion.
Mediastinum: Heart size is normal. There is a small pericardial
effusion. Coronary atherosclerosis. Aortic atherosclerosis with
patency of the origins of the great vessels. Supraclavicular lymph
nodes are of normal size. No axillary lymphadenopathy.
Redemonstration of a vague mass at the level of the right hilum
measuring approximately 3.9 x 2.8 cm, at a similar level on the prior
exam approximately 4.7 x 3.6 cm.

Sylvia,

I am not a doctor so these explanations may not be totally correct.  Ensure you get a complete explanation from your doctor.

1. An atelectasis is a partial collapse of the lung.

2. A pleural effusion is fluid accumulation between the inner chest wall and the outer lung membrane.  Many things can cause it.  The excessive coughing and tiredness you report are typical symptoms of a pleural effusion.

3.  "have some component of loculation" - I don't know. "No enhancement within the effusion"  This could mean there is no tumor present within the effusion but I don't know for sure.

4.  Wouldn't have any idea.

5.  A good question for your doctor to ask.

Do you have a Pulse Oximeter?  They can be purchased inexpensively at any drug store.  They measure oxygen saturation rate in the blood by placement on a finger.  If his oxygen saturation rate is below - say 94 percent, he may need supplemental oxygen.

Symptomatically, his problem appears to be dealing with effects from the pleural effusion (excessive coughing and tiredness).  The pleural effusion could be from radiation pneumonitis, COPD and or asthma. Or it could be for some other reason.  I'd ask the doctor what is causing the pleural effusion. I had radiation pneumonitis and because my airway is now hyper reactive, I experience asthma symptoms in the spring and fall that make normal breathing difficult.

Questions to ask your doctor:  Start with these: What can we do to help him breath?  Should he be on supplemental oxygen?  How long before his radiation pneumonitis abates? Are their inhalers that can be prescribed to help him with COPD and asthma?

Stay the course.

Tom