1 year Stage 3A survivor

Just Chel

Hello Everyone, 

A year ago I received the news no one ever wants to hear. You have Stage 3A cancer. To say my husband and I were in shock is putting it mildly since I have never smoked my entire life. I had absolutely no symptoms. My cancer was found by accident during a CT scan for a totally unrelated issue. Acid Refux saved my life. 

After going through surgery, along with chemotherapy and radiation treatment, I am happy to say to say that as of today I am cancer free! I continue to get checked every 3 months for the next 2 to 3 years, but that is okay, I'm alive to get checked.

Thank you Susan!  I was so lucky. I would never have known that I had cancer until it was too late if the doctors at John's Hopkins had not done a CT for my esophagus. That is why I am so passionate about helping LunGevity. 

On 11/17/2016 at 3:37 PM, Just Chel said:

Thank you Susan!  I was so lucky. I would never have know that I had cancer until it was too late if the doctors at John's Hopkins had not done a CT for my esophagus. That is why I am so passionate about helping LunGevity. 

I am happy to hear your great news! That is something to celebrate this holiday season!

There are many opportunities to get involved with LUNGevity. Here are a few https://www.lungevity.org/get-involved If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at lhumphries@lungevity.org

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

1 hour ago, LaurenH said:

I am happy to hear your great news! That is something to celebrate this holiday season!

There are many opportunities to get involved with LUNGevity. Here are a few https://www.lungevity.org/get-involved If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at lhumphries@lungevity.org

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Thank you so much Lauren!   I have signed up to be an Advocate for LunGevity.  I feel like the reason I went through what I did with cancer was to tell my story and raise awareness for early detection!  I can't wait to get started....actually I have been an advocate for the past year and didn't realize it. :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Just Chel and again congratulations with your year of NED.

Did you receive radiation before or after your surgery? My mother just had VATS surgery and a lobe removed along with two infected lymph nodes. They classified her as 3a adeno-squamous lung cancer. They mentioned giving her radiation and chemo after she heals. She did receive neoadjuvant chemo which made surgery possible. She also never smoked.

Curious as to your experiences.

God bless.

24 minutes ago, St Michael said:

Hi Just Chel and again congratulations with your year of NED.

Did you receive radiation before or after your surgery? My mother just had VATS surgery and a lobe removed along with two infected lymph nodes. They classified her as 3a adeno-squamous lung cancer. They mentioned giving her radiation and chemo after she heals. She did receive neoadjuvant chemo which made surgery possible. She also never smoked.

Curious as to your experiences.

God bless.

Hi St Michael,

I did mine in reverse order.  I had the VATS surgery first on 11/3/2015.  They were sure it was contained to the upper right lobe and that would be the end of it. They were very surprised to find an infected lymph node. I was diagnosed with Stage 3a NSCLC.  I started my first of 30 radiation treatments on Christmas, then chemo on 12/30.  My nodule was tested and I am ALK positive, which I am grateful to have a backup plan if it were to come back. Oh, I was perfectly healthy and active non-smoking 54 years old when I was diagnosed. Mine was found due to a totally unrelated medical issue. Thank god they found it when they did. I came through it all with flying colors.  I couldn't have asked for any better surgeons, Radiation Oncologist. The team at John's Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Cancer treatment center were the best. 

I just had a CT scan on 11/21 and am still NED (No evidence of disease).  Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

God Bless to you and your mother.

2 minutes ago, Tylalla said:

Hi Just Chel, it's so great to hear you are NED! I hope your good news continues!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thank you, Tylalla!  I feel so very blessed and feel that I was meant to tell my story so that we can spread the word not only for early detection, but in help finding a cure as well.

Happy Holidays!

Chel

• 1 month later...

Do you know what the difference is between 3 A and 3B stage ? I havent had my visit yet to ask

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Mally said:

Do you know what the difference is between 3 A and 3B stage ? I havent had my visit yet to ask

Hi Mally,

Stage 3A spread to the lymph nodes on the same side as the main tumor. Stage 3B spread to the lymph nodes on the opposite side of the main tumor.  

Thankyou for that info Just Chel and i wonder if thats the better scenario to have the nodes on the same side ?