Jg_miller

Hi.  I'm stage IV NSCLC and I had four courses of cisplatin and alimta last spring.  My side effects were fatigue, nausea, neuropathy, and ringing in the ears.  My nausea was well managed with Prilosec and two prescription meds (Zofran, Compazine).  The fatigue hit me around the end of April and stuck with me into June.  The neuropathy finally subsided in the fall and the ringing in the ears is the gift that continues to give.  I did not lose my hair but it is my understanding that many people lose their hair with that combo.  My chemo also lasted nearly 8 hours each session due to the combination of drugs and fluids.  

I was NED until the end of February this year when we found a recurrence in a lymph node in my chest, so I'd say that almost a year of NED is pretty good for stage IV.  I start 6 weeks of radiation and chemo (carboplatin and taxol) next week.

I'm sure your team has provided you with information about the drugs and side effects, but I also recommend chemocare.com.  I have found that site to be very useful.  I hope I answered your question, but if not, please let me know.  Good luck to you!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.