Hi my name is Suzanne

Suzanne

On March 15th (my birthday!) I went for my checkup after battling breast cancer. It was just about a year since I finished radiation and all looked good. But I was coughing a lot and just didn't feel good. So here I am 3 weeks later with Stage 3 nscl adenocarcinoma lung cancer. I am beside my self with fear (and some good old anger)! I am an ex smoker and quit 25 years ago, but I guess it wasn't soon enough. So can someone help me before I completely fall apart?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Suzanne
Welcome. Our stories are SO similar. Which you know if you've read my posts. I also just recently joined this group and it's been very helpful. I was diagnosed with breast cancer February last year. Had surgery and radiation and everything was going great. Then developed pneumonia in Jan. which eventually lead to disgnosis of stage IV adenocarcinoma in March. Not a spread of the breast cancer, but an actual primary lung cancer. My birthday is also in March and had the P.E.T. scan the day before my birthday. I also quit smoking 17 years ago. Ironically, if my research is correct my cancer is the type nonsmoking women usually get. This certainly wasn't a part of my plan for my life. I'm still waiting to get started on my treatment. See my Oncologist again tomorrow, so maybe things will get rolling then. I've been ( as another member put it so well) freaked out off and on. It's a stunning thing to get hit twice with 2 separate cancers. But my Oncologist's N.P. says both are adenocarcinomas. I didn't know that. Don't know that I have any great advice or info. But I can certainly assure you that you aren't alone. Right now my faith in God is holding me together. It goes like this: I freak out, I run and cry out to Him in prayer, He gives me peace in my heart and mind, repeat. Then repeat again. He knew this was coming and I'm trusting that though it wasn't part of my plan it is part of His and He knows what He's doing. Please, keep us updated on how things are going with you. I'm so glad you've become part of this group! No the reason for joining of course, but the choice to join and share your journey.
Judy M.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Suzanne,

Ok - here is my first and best shot at help:  I was diagnosed 13 years ago with Stage 3 NSCLC and I'm alive. The obvious conclusion is if I can live so can you.

There are so many things to communicate.  There are vast differences in terminology and treatments between lung cancer and breast cancer.  It wouldn't hurt to read about adenocarcinoma here.  

You mention Stage 3 and adenocarcinoma and that suggests you've had a biopsy.  If that is the case, are they checking the biopsy samples for biomarkers? If your tumor displays certain markers, you may be able to receive targeted therapy.  Here is an explanation.

Stay away from survival statistics.  If you must read something about survival, read this.  Also listen to Gould (linked in the blog) and start working on that sanguine personality.

You'll likely have many more questions as you proceed with treatment plan design and treatment and this is a good place to ask.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Judy, yes I did read your posts and instantly realized how similar our stories are. I am definitely looking to my Heavenly Father to give me the strength to battle on. I'm just so tired. This week I have a PET scan and brain MRI. My oncologist said we need to know those results before we can set a treatment plan. But right now it looks like chemo and radiation. I meet with my "team" on Thursday. And thanks Tom you are right about reading statistics. And I am encouraged by your living! 

Hi Suzanne.  I am a stage IV adenocarcinoma patient.  I was diagnosed in February 2016.  I made it 12 months before my first recurrence and my recurrence (as far as a recurrence goes) is minor.  I started treatment today.  Smoker, non-smoker - doesn't matter; lung cancer doesn't discriminate.  I just had my second brain MRI and that is the one that scares me, but my oncologist says the medical field is having great success with brain radiation. That said, fingers are crossed and prayers said for clean scans so you can move forward with treatment.