Hi my name is Alma

almajones

I have Non small cell carcinoma lung cancer going on now for over 3 years - I couldn't handle the infusion anymore so Tarceva became available to me and I started taking it in December.  I am feeling much better with this drug just have a few issues with side effects.  The rash on my face isn't too bad - I have antibiotic pills and gel which keeps it down pretty good, but I did start loosing my hair and was concerned but I see that is common.  The hair on my face grows like crazy and it is 'kinky' it drives me crazy.  my eyebrows are growing with kinky hair too - it does appear like my eyelashes are growing but I did lose some there too - I hope they grow back but I read some ones post they go every which way.  Probably the worst is the dry skin.  It is terrible.  I have tried so many things and nothing works.  I am not trying fish oil to see if that works from the inside out.  Of course the diarrhea I don't think we can get away from that - I'm just annoyed I don't lose weight lol.  anyway all in all I am very happy with this drug it definitely beats the infusion which I was to be on the rest of my life.   I was ready to say I take my chances.

Good morning, Alma.  Sounds like the Tarceva is giving you a run for your money but I'm happy to hear it is an option for you and that you have some help with the side effects.  Hang in there!

Welcome here Alma!

Yes, I well understand the side effects of Tarceva.  I had it in conjunction with Taxol and Carboplatin infused chemotherapy back in the dark ages when doctors didn't really understand why Tarceva worked.  I have Squamous cell lung cancer and it is now known Tarceva does not attack that form of NSCLC.

I found no solution to skin problems.  Since I was also receiving infused Taxol and Carboplatin, strange hair growth was not a problem because I lost all my hair.  It did regrow normally after I stopped taking Tarceva and when my infused treatment was finished.

Diarrhea was the most troubling side effect.  It made life a nightmare and when I complained on a cancer forum in 2006, someone suggested I start each day with a plain bowl of steamed rice.  While Tarceva laughed at Imodium, it respected the rice.  So you might try that as a way of minimizing the impact of this bothersome side effect.

I hope your skin and digestive side effects moderate and that your treatment continues to be effective.

Stay the course.

Tom