Hello there!

My name is Ashley, I am 30 years old and my mom (55) was just diagnosed with stage 4 NSCLC in March, it has been a whirlwind to say the least. It's hard to really put into words how I am feeling at this point, I have been one of her main caregivers since her diagnosis. I joined to learn helpful tricks and tips for my mom and for the community support for me.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

She immediately did 12 radiation session (adrenal, lung, T5 & rib) she just finished her 2nd infusion of taxol/carbo on Friday, so far so good. She had lost a lot of weight and hair was coming out in gobs about 14 days after her first infusion

What types of symptoms is your mom having?  I had cisplatin/pemexetred last year, and my doc managed the nausea very well.  There were days that I didn't want to eat, but I tried to always get something down.  I finally bought some Boost and kept those for the days when I couldn't even look at any other food.  I'm currently doing 6-8 rounds of carboplatin/taxol.  The only issues I'm having right now are fatigue and my hair is starting to go.  But my carbo/taxol is being given as a back-up to radiation so I'm likely not getting the same dose as your mom.  

I'm a big fan of www.chemocare.com - lots of great information about treatments and managing side effects.

My first scan following last year's chemo was about 6 weeks after treatment, and then every 90 days thereafter.  Your mom will probably be on a similar schedule.  You will find that you'll both be anxious around scan time.  If you have the opportunity, read Scanziety by Tom Galli.  It's available as an e-book.  Tom is a member on this forum and his book does a wonderful job explaining the highs and lows of this entire process.  

My mom is also on megace.. seems to be working...some. Her onc said she would be doing 4-6 infusions of the carbo/taxol. This has all happened so very fast, she has a lot of pain and is on very strong meds for that which makes her fatigued as well on top of the chemo.