Just frustrated, venting here apparently...

JustMe

Husbands right lung collapsed, has been in local hospital for 7 days...waiting to be transferred to hospital in Boston for them to put in a bronchial stent.

Just waiting around for days is so frustrating...does this affect the lungs ability to re-inflate...all this time doing nothing?  He wanted to come home so badly, but decided to stay when they explained that out-patient to Boston would take much longer than hospital-to-hospital transfer.  Nurses have finally figured out how to keep his pain managed...2mg of dilaudid IV every 3 hours is the only thing that works...

In the meantime, I can't schedule any consults with Dana-Farber or even think about getting him started with the clinical trial until the stent is done...

*bangs head on desk*

Hi there,

Sorry you are frustrated (rightly so).  Waiting is the worst, especially when our loved one is struggling with medical issues.  I just wanted to chime in on the lung inflation - my mom just had a mostly collapsed lung due to a large plueral effusion (she hardly had any breath sounds in her right lobe, which is missing the upper lobe).  She was in the hospital for 2 weeks until they were able to successfully drain the fluid and get her on her feet again.  Her lung was partially deflated for much longer - we are suspecting at least 3 weeks.  When she had her upper lobe removed a few years back, her right lobe was deflated for a few days and it naturally re-inflated on it's own.  So my overall message is that within a reasonable amount of time, lungs can re-inflate, even on their own.  Perhaps once the stent is placed, the lung could re-inflate on it's own, but it's not a big deal if they have to help it.  

Best wishes for you and your husband...sorry you are playing the waiting game. Please know that we are here any time you need to vent or have questions, no need to bang your head!

Hi,

This is a good place to vent and to ask for information and support. Steff has given you more info than  I can about lung deflation/reinflation. I understand head banging (and arm biting) .  Hang in there and keep asking for what you need , both here and elsewhere.

Bridget O

Hi, JustMe,

Just wanted to check in and see how you and your husband are doing. Please post an update when you can, even if it's just to vent. We are here for you and happy to offer encouragement and advice.

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Hi all, thanks for the care and replies...

Jay is home, spent 12 days in hospital, did get the stent finally and seems to be doing okay.  He's still in pain, but not as severe.  Had some congestion and slight fever last night, but both are better this morning.  The stent helped his middle lobe, but apparently his upper lobe is just screwed until we can find a chemo that works...clinical trial in Boston starts next week...

Hope you all are well...and your loved ones...

Jennifer

Hi, Jennifer,

I'm glad that you and Jay are home! Keep us posted on the clinical trial. We'll be thinking of you!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation