Sign in to follow this  
Jools

Stage IV lung cancer weeks to live

hello everyone

My beautiful mum was diagnosed with Nsclc in May 2017 .  What followed was three rounds of chemotherapy, which made her incredibly sick.    Sadly the cancer spread to her right lung and lymph nodes attached to windpipe.

As chemo didn't work, they tried Immunotherapy two weeks ago.  She ended up in hospital with a chest infection and on continuous oxygen

Recent scan has shown the tumours have increased.  There is three in left lung one in right lung .  They, have grown to the point that the consultant has said she only has weeks possible few months to live .

Im so devestated impounded by the fact that I am living in Australia and she is in the UK.  

Jools I am so sorry to here what you and your Mom are going through.  I survived lung cancer but 

I also have experience with the loss of a loved one - my husband.  He was told in the late winter of 2013 that

there was 2 small spots on his lung but within months just when they planned to do surgery it had spread every 

where.  I lost him in July that year.  

I pray that you will get back to the UK to see and be with your Mom  for at least some time together.

Let us know how you are coping.

Donna G

thank you.  I'm so shocked and wonder how in the space of 5 months she has been told she has weeks to live and yet other people seem to have longer .  I guess I'm angry and frustrated 

Sadly we all lose our parents and I know this is part of living to loose our parents , but I'm really struggling with this 

Jools,

I'm sorry for what you and your mom are enduring.  This stupid cancer doesn't play by any rules.  There are so many variables when it comes to lung cancer  - has it spread, what kind is it, how late in the game is the diagnosis - that we all react differently to treatment.  My grandmother had small-cell and lived 13 months after her diagnosis.  While she was going through chemo, her tumors came back bigger than before.  I didn't understand why; I thought chemo would keep them at bay.  When I was diagnosed with lung cancer, my first thought was the 13 months my grandmother had.  We see people on the forums who are here for just a few weeks after diagnosis, and those who are here for years.  It doesn't make sense to any of us.  Please know that we are all here for you.  

Hello Jools and welcome,

I'm so sorry for what you and your mom are going through. I lost my mom to breast cancer quite a few years ago. She had hospice care at the end and was peaceful and pain free. Just know that many of us are thinking of you.

Bridget O

Jools,

I've been on both sides of this disease and I must tell you, it's much harder to be the caregiver than the patient.  The patient knows she/he are doing all they can, the caregiver is mostly helpless to fight the disease and can only offer support.  I lost both my parents to lung cancer.  Neither lasted more than 4.5 months.  On the other hand I was told I had 10 months but that was 7 years ago.  

With your mom's options dwindling this might be a good idea to have a talk about bringing in a palliative care dr who can also remain her dr when it's time for hospice.  Also you may want to interview hospice care companies.  The best advice I can give you on that is to select the company whose representative looks mom in the eye and talks to her, not at her.  When we discussed this in my support group the patients who went into hospice reported that the nurse that called on them rarely looked up from their computer while asking questions.  

Remember to take care for yourself as well.  This can be exhausting.  Don't be afraid to accept health.