Mucinous Adenocarcinoma in Non-Smoker

Roz

Hi Roz,

Welcome to the forum. I'm also a non-smoker who had adenocarcinoma (but not mucinous). I had surgery but didn't need further treatment at this time. I had chemo for a previous (non-lung ) cancer, so I know what that can be like. Please let us know how we can be a support to you.

Bridget O

I had surgery (9/12) to remove my lower left lobe and with it an 8 cm cancerous tumor. I also have a cancerous mass in my upper right lobe that they believe is as large with ground glass that has recently gotten larger and closer to the fissure. If the ground glass hadn't changed, surgery to remove the upper right lobe was next. But they want to try chemo (Cisplatin and Paramexed) beginning 10/27. According to my Oncologist, the chemo sometimes shrinks the mass ( 30% of lung cancer tumors), but also should keep more cancer from popping up (like in another lobe). Depending on how chemo goes, they will determine how many cycles, etc. But after that, I will still need surgery to remove the upper right lobe, followed by chemo again. I think I am looking to hear from others that have dealt with this and maybe even someone who has had mucinous adenocarcinoma on left and right sides, and how it was treated. I am told that my situation is not too common. Thanks in advance for the support!

Hi, Roz.  I had a lobectomy of my upper left lung and followed it with four rounds of cisplatin and pemexetred.  The cancer had spread to my lymph nodes, but was not in the other lung.  I have just plain adenocarcinoma, so I'm not sure I have much to offer you as far as experience.  However, I'm sure there are others on this forum who can provide some insight.  

Susan, 

I appreciate your response. My docs met and I am now going in for surgery to remove the upper right lobe. Once I recover from surgery, the chemo will start and I believe the same two drugs you had will be used. How has your recovery been progressing since you have started the chemo. Has your cancer responded to the chemo and how is your body handling it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Roz,

Welcome to LCSC. I am happpy to see that you've already connected with some of our members. This community is made up of survivors (including many long-term survivors) as well as caregivers and advocates. Many people are willing to share their own personal experiences and offer encouragement and advice.

Please feel free to explore the message boards, ask questions, and join in on any conversation that resonates with you. I am happy to provide you with resources and information about LUNGevity's Support & Survivorship program. Please do not hesitate to reach out and remember that we are here for you!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

• 2 weeks later...

Roz,

I'm not sure how I missed your questions - sorry about that. I handled the first chemo pretty well. I had chemo on Friday and started feeling bad on Sunday but was making a turn by Tuesday of each round.  My cancer did respond to the chemo but I have since had a recurrence. More chemo and radiation and I'm NED again.

The roughest part of my recovery was two months after my lobectomy. I had about 10 days of spasms in my chest that brought me to my knees. 

We all react differently to the various treatments. My best advice is this: if you are in pain, something doesn't feel right, you have questions - talk to your medical team until you get relief. 

Keep us posted.

Archived