Stage 3 lung cancer survivors

Kimi

I was diagnosed in May with Stage 3a lung cancer. I did chemo treatments and had my right upper lobe removed in September. Now I am starting radiation and more chemo.  Is this normal treatment for Stage 3a?  Reading statistics is scary.

Good for you! (about the surviving, not good about the cancer ).Welcome here .Hang in there and tell us more about yourself if  you feel  comfortable doing so.

Bridget O

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/29/2017 at 11:17 AM, Kimi said:

I was diagnosed in May with Stage 3a lung cancer. I did chemo treatments and had my right upper lobe removed in September. Now I am starting radiation and more chemo.  Is this normal treatment for Stage 3a?  Reading statistics is scary.

Stage 3A survivor here, my treatment was similar, only surgery (upper right lobe also) first then chemo, short break then chemo/radiation combo.

It's been 11 years since then so it must have worked.

One thing my Dr. told me when I was first diagnosed was "not to run home are read all the statistics, those are just numbers, your fight is yours and yours alone." kind of daunting I know but to me it made a lot of sense. 

It wasn't easy by any stretch of the imagination but there are plenty of people who prove the numbers wrong.

Kimi,

Sorry I missed your post.

I'm a stage IIIA NSCLC guy who had surgery also. But my surgery occurred after pre-surgical radiation and chemo to shrink my tumor, and after surgery there were many complications.  I had 2 more surgeries to deal with the complications and 4 bronchial stent insertions.  My treatment pattern was not normal; yours appears to be normal however.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi to anyone who sees this but i was on here a lot earlier this year during my treatment and loved the knowledge and support i got but the last couple of months ive found it hard to navigate and connect to anyone so is it the tapatalk app or lungevity thats different ..i found it easy before but it seems harder now ...my user name is mally and i had nsclc

Mally,

I don't use Tapatalk to connect with Lungevity on my mobile devices (iPhone & iPad).  I've found it slow and cumbersome.  Instead, I use either the Chrome or Safari browser on my phone to connect with the Lungevity Forum using the address: forums.lungevity.org  Tapatalk is a third party app not associated with Lungevity and it takes forever to navigate. 

On my computer, I've bookmarked the page fourms.lungevity.org and use the bookmark feature to open it everyday. This allows me to easily connect and navigate and most importantly is easily read on a computer screen as opposed to the small screen format on a phone or tablet.

I downloaded the Lungevity app from the Apple App store and tried it.  It worked fine but it still only gives me small screen access.  Again, for reading and navigation ease, I prefer a computer.

Stay the course.

Tom 

• 3 weeks later...

Kimi. 

Welcome to this site. Sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

My mother was diagnosed about a year ago with stage 3a lung cancer - adenosquamous tumor. She had three lymph nodes affected. She was a non-smoker and harbors the EGFR mutation.

She had chemo, surgery and then radiation. It has been a year since her diagnosis and she is currently cancer free according to her last scan. Something to be thankful for indeed this year. However, she still deals with some of the side effects from treatment(s).

There is hope. Just listen to some of the long term survivors here of stage 3 lung cancer as proof of that. Rest assured new treatments/combo therapies are on the horizon.

god bless.

The best suitable treatment for the cancer diagnosis could be chemotherapy, radiation therapy, immunotherapy or a combination of two. According to studies, here are the risk factors that contribute to the development of this disease in women who do not smoke: Genetic factors like how the body reacts to carcinogens or substances that cause cancer, Environmental factors, Hormones like estrogen, etc. read more about it here.  My mother was diagnosed with lung cancer, a few years ago. Her oncologist suggested for lung cancer treatments in New York with reference of radiation therapy along with chemotherapy for her, considering her age and health condition. She has almost recovered from it now.

On 11/7/2017 at 4:13 PM, JLA said:

Stage 3A survivor here, my treatment was similar, only surgery (upper right lobe also) first then chemo, short break then chemo/radiation combo.

It's been 11 years since then so it must have worked.

One thing my Dr. told me when I was first diagnosed was "not to run home are read all the statistics, those are just numbers, your fight is yours and yours alone." kind of daunting I know but to me it made a lot of sense. 

It wasn't easy by any stretch of the imagination but there are plenty of people who prove the numbers wrong.

Thank you so much for your reply.  Did you have lymph nodes removed?

On 10/29/2017 at 1:19 PM, BridgetO said:

Good for you! (about the surviving, not good about the cancer ).Welcome here .Hang in there and tell us more about yourself if  you feel  comfortable doing so.

Bridget O

On 10/29/2017 at 1:19 PM, BridgetO said:

Bridget O

I am now halfway through radiation.  I am getting my treatment at MD Anderson.  I appreciate all the replies. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 8:07 PM, Kimi said:

Thank you so much for your reply.  Did you have lymph nodes removed?

Yes I had several removed, not sure of the exact number but I want to say 11 of 13, but my memory isn't as good as it used to be. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue at the end of my radiation treatments, in my case it turned out to be radiation pneumonitis, it just an inflammation due to the radiation, apparently it is pretty common but kinda of scary when you're going through it. It was cleared up with steroids, hopefully this is all it is for you. 

Talk to your medical team and let them know what's going on. 

Archived