Medicine

bluesky

Hi,

I have been diagnosed with cancer and the doctor is willing to prescribe an Opiate but I read online of people having tolerance to Opiates.

So I ask you if you are on Opiate medicine, do you notice any tolerance to it?. Does it still work?. And where you taking it every day.

Any help regarding this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Bluesky,

I have taken opiates several times, mostly after surgeries. I've taken them for at most a couple of weeks and not long term. Over a couple of weeks, I never had tolerance or a problem stopping them. At first I was hesitant to take them. I had breast cancer (this was before my lung cancer) and I had radiation and got radiation burns. These were painful and I had trouble sleeping. My doctor really encouraged me to take the opiates she prescribed because I needed to be able to sleep, so finally I did and I was glad i did. I was taking them every day, but only at night. I could get by in the day with just tylenol and ibuprofen.

If you're in pain and it can't be controlled any other way, I'd suggest using the opiates. If you decide to, the main thing to be aware of is that they cause constipation. Be sure you get your doctor's recommendation for stool softeners and/or laxatives and that you use them from the time you start taking the opiates. Don't wait until the constipation starts. 

Best wishes and hang in there!

Bridget O

Bluesky,

I've also taken prescribed opiates to relieve post operative pain.  I was told as long as I was experiencing pain, I could safely take the medication without risk of addiction.  If however, I took opiate medication without pain, addiction process would be activated.  So, according to my doctor, if in pain, take the opiates.  If not, don't.

Also agree with Bridget about starting stool softeners and laxatives because constipation will start very soon after your first opiate dose.

Stay the course.

Tom

Archived