Chemo ports

Susan Cornett

I finished treatment for my recurrence in July and got an NED report in September.  My question is this: for those of you who had a port, how long did you keep it after you finished treatment?  I've thought about having it removed, but I keep it for a couple of reasons.  First, it makes my life easier for scans because I have terrible veins.  Second, IF I have another recurrence, I'd have to get it again.  I guess I'm wondering at what point others have said "nope, done with the port".  

Susan,

My answer is a lesson learned in not how long to keep a port.  My port was removed after my year's worth of surgical mayhem.  Unfortunately, I had three future recurrences and four stent procedures to deal with.  Because of the threat of bronchopleural fistula complications, my thoracic surgeon was reluctant to allow a port procedure to deal with infusions.

Knowing that lung cancer has a high probability of recurrence and adding the extreme discomfort of IV insertions to deal with post surgical recurrences, I would have been much better served to keep the port I had.  You've had one recurrence and I hope, really hope it is your last, but the data says it may not be.  I'd keep it at least for a year's worth of NED.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Susan,

I've never had a port, but wish I had! My poor veins. There's a woman in my support group who had kept her port for years after her treament ended because she couldn't stand being poked. Her  onc has wanted to take it out, but she's resisted because she has to have regular blood tests and  CTs with contrast.  She has to go  every so many weeks (6?) to have it flushed.

I was weighing the time to have it flushed (monthly - takes less than 10 minutes) vs. I'm just sick of it.  But I've been thinking I'd keep it for a while because stupid lung cancer comes back.  Thank you both for your input!

Archived