Genetic testing

BridgetO

My oncologist referred me for genetic counseling. I've had 3 primary cancers- breast, cervical (clear cell, a rare form, not the kind caused by HPV), and most recently non-small cell lung cancer. There's no obvious connection between the 3, but 3  cancers s unusual, so I'm being tested for 60 possible mutations. Blood was drawn yesterday (by a super good phlebotomist at my cancer clinic) and the results should be back in about 3 weeks. 

Has anybody else had this kind of testing?

Also, I'm having  a one-year-after-surgery chest CT scan after Thanksgiving. So a little scanxiety!

Bridget

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be thinking of you this week! Keep us posted on your scan. I hope that you and your family had a nice holiday!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

• 2 weeks later...

I got the report from my genetic testing. This isn't genetic or molecular testing of the tumor (which shows KRAS mutation0, but is germline testing to see if i have any inherited syndrome that has caused me to have 3 different primary cancers. 

The results show only one abnormality, which is a Variation of Unknown Significance (VUS). It' s an abnormality in a chromosome called STK11. Variations in this chromosome can cause something called Peutz-Jehger Syndrome, which causes intestinal polyps and  a kind of pigment change on the face, neither of which I have. So it appears I don't have that syndrome, which can result in gastrointestinal cancers and an increased risk of some other types of cancer. It seems like it's unknown whether STK variations without signs of Peutz-Jehger affect cancer risk. I've been doing some reading and It 's all  very technical.  I'm going to see if my medical oncologist, who referred me for the testing has any views on it.

Bridget O

Bridget 

Thanks for sharing all that. Very interested since I've also had 3 separate cancers in the same places. My Oncologist has only tested for genetic markers that have medications approved to treat lung cancer. So far I have none of those. Will be waiting to see what you discover. 

Judy M. 

Archived