New to Lung Cancer

Jane Halladay

My husband has recently been diagnosed with non-small cell adenocarcinoma lung cancer that has traveled to several other locations.  I want to be connected to every possible piece of information out there that might be helpful in our journey.

Welcome here! This is a good place to be connected to information and support. If there's something specfic you need, please post and someone will probably respond.  

All the best

Bridget O

Jane,

Welcome here.

I am also sorry about your husband's diagnosis but seeking information about lung cancer is the right course of action.  My wife was the lung cancer researcher for me and her acquired knowledge likely saved my life.  Here is a good start to your general research.

As you read in, you'll likely have questions and this forum is a good place to seek answers.  None of us are physicians but we have an enormous amount of collective knowledge battling lung cancer.  One thing you might take away from looking at forum members is the large number of lung tenured survivors.  Indeed, if we can survive, so can your husband.

Stay the course.

Tom

It feels good to be connected with other people walking this same path.  If anyone has any helpful information on how to improve quality of life or length of life, I'm willing to hear you out.  Someone mentioned hemp oil.  Does anyone have any information on its effect on lung cancer?  I have also read that a diet high in fruits and vegetables and low in sugar can be helpful.  Anyone have anything to say to that?  We are looking for anything because we have too much living to do yet!!!

It is indeed good to be connected to others on the same path.  I'm glad you're here.

There's lots of information out there about hemp products, diet, etc. Unfortunately, not all of it is reliable.. It's easy to say that only rely on stuff that's on "reputable" sites or scientifically proven. Unfortunately, scientifically proven info on hemp products is really scarce, in part because government regulation deters testing. So a lot of this is a judgement call on your part.

Personally, based on what I've read, I think that a good healthy plant based diet is good for anybody ( there's evidence for that) and might help improve quality of life-- lower meat consumption, few added sugars, whole grains, lots of fruit and veg, I'm sure you know the drill. On the other hand, absent some condition like celiac disease or food allergy, I think that over-strict adherence to any diet, no matter how healthful in theory, can be stressful and might actually impair quality of life. I mean, for example, always saying NO to ice cream or turning down invitations to dinner, because they might serve something on  food plan , is not going to make me happy. The facilitator of a support group  I'm in for cancer survivors suggest 80/20, allowing yourself 20% deviation from any diet or plan. I like that!  

I also think exercise iis  imporant for quality of life, both physical and mental health. It doesn't have to be strenuous, walking around is better than sitting on the couch. Best if it's something you enjoy.

It's also important to keep doing other things you enjoy, whether that be spending time with friends and family, travel, movies, arts and crafts, whatever. As a woman with a stage 4 ovarian cancer tod me,  "If I'm going to fight for my life, I'm going to have a life worth fighting for."   She was a role model for me- she kept traveling and taking photos, two of her joys in life, during recurrences and at times when she was fairly ill,  She went to the Galapagos Islands, got sick, and had to be airlifted out. She said " Oh well, I had good travel insurance."  After that, she went of a tour to the Arctic.

All this stuff applies to caregivers as well as the person with cancer. You need to take good care of yourself, too.

All the best,

Bridget O

Jane,

I agree with Bridget.  There is a ton of information on hemp oil and cannabis but nothing in a controlled scientific study that validates curative properties for lung cancer or any cancer for that matter.  A good diet is a good idea regardless but if your husband undergoes chemotherapy, a potential side effect might be problems with his taste buds.  So, eating anything might be the challenge.  So to answer your question, I do not believe hemp or cannabis or diet provide curative lung cancer properties.

Now you asked about the quality of life and Bridget's response about doing things together you enjoy is spot on.  Cancer treatment often extends life.  How long is uncertain?  Life longevity without cancer is uncertain.  But, what do you plan to do during the extension?  I tell you this because I didn't enjoy my NED (no evidence of disease) time.  I fussed and frittered away all possibility of joy worrying about how long I'd live.  That was a vast mistake so learn from me.  Start enjoying yourself now and keep at it through treatment and after treatment.  Find a little piece of joy everyday and when you do, revel in it.

As your husband starts treatment, you'll have lots of questions and this is the place for answers.

Stay the course.

Tom

Archived