Mally

Mally

Mally

Was told the Opdivo would be a once every 2 weeks infusion, but I think I've also read there's an immunotherapy that is in tablet form. And the targeted therapy for my breast cancer is a tablet. 

Judy M. 

Mally

Was reading another post in this forum the other day and I believe it said Tarceva, which is a targeted therapy, is a pill. 

Judy M. 

That would be great Judy but only certain people can get that if they have certain factors in their cancer dont they ? The dr did mention that if my biopsy was positive that i may be able to have immunotherepy so is that targeted or different ?ive heard some mention tablet form and others iv every 3 weeks so im too nervous to look up these things and i learnt 5 yrs ago with a different cancer that google info is not reliable.

Mally,

I did a little research on the most common forms of immunotherapy and how they are administered.  Here is my information:

• Opdivo (nivolumab) - administered by infusion with a period of 2 weeks from infusion to infusion.
  • Keytruda (pembrolizumab) - administered by infusion with a period of 3 weeks from infusion to infusion.
  • Tecentriq (atezolizumab) - administered by infusion with a period of 3 weeks from infusion to infusion.

There are other immunotherapy drugs under study but not yet FDA approved.  I can't find data on how they are administered.

I think you are confusing Targeted Therapy with Immunotherapy.  Some Targeted Therapy drugs, like Tarceva, are taken in pill form.  But Targeted Therapy is not suitable for your type of cancer, so I believe infusion treatment will be the method of administration.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks for that info Tom and i guess every 2 weeks is good and if its not as nausea causing at traditional chemo but works then im all for that and ill have just 3 weeks from oncologist appoint. To leaving for 18 day holiday so i hope i can get some treatment in before i go ...maybe the new radiotherepy for a couple of weeks and 2 doses of chemo ? Im just upset about the wait because enlarged lymh node was seen on the 21st dec and biopsy done on 29th dec results of that on 3 jan and pet scan next week on the 18th jan then oncologist for results and treatment on 24th jan so over a month those cells have been left in lymph node and god only knows where it has spread to .......i was discharged from the cancer center back last June when my scan at the 6th month mark was all clear ....sorry to rant but its just worrying 

Thanks Bridget ....its good to get fears out but dont want my family to worry more than they do so im talking positive with them falling apart out of sight 

• 2 weeks later...

Well im going on Nivo immunotherepy this monday coming and one infusion every 2 weeks just like you said Tom so ill get 2 doses in before my holiday and then the day after i get back i have the next dose so its fitting in well with my already paid and organized holiday but i asked if i would have radiotherepy or normal chemo as well and he said because the 3 lymph nodes would be too hard to hit in each session and because i had 4 rounds of chemo last yr and it has returned in the lymph nodes then that didnt work even tho my 6 mth scan after surgery and chemo was clear but i thought a lot of people have chemo again for mets ? 

Mally, I'm really happy to hear that you're getting to have your vacation as planned! It's important to be able to do things we enjoy, as well as our treatment  I confess to delaying my lung cancer surgery  for two planned trips! My pulmonologist  said it would be OK since my nodule was so slow growing. With another cancer (non-lung) I was hustled into surgery in about a week because the cancer was so aggressive--no choice on scheduling. So I guess I trust my doctors to know what we can schedule around and what we can't.

Bridget O

Thankyou Bridget ....i think the upcoming holiday will give me a break from thinking about cancer and 2 of my daughters and 4 grandchildren and son in law and of course husband are with me on this trip so will give good memories to look back on 

Thats great news Bridget ...you must feel good knowing theyve all been knocked down 

On 1/9/2018 at 10:56 PM, Tom Galli said:

Mally,

I did a little research on the most common forms of immunotherapy and how they are administered.  Here is my information:

• Opdivo (nivolumab) - administered by infusion with a period of 2 weeks from infusion to infusion.
  • Keytruda (pembrolizumab) - administered by infusion with a period of 3 weeks from infusion to infusion.
  • Tecentriq (atezolizumab) - administered by infusion with a period of 3 weeks from infusion to infusion.

There are other immunotherapy drugs under study but not yet FDA approved.  I can't find data on how they are administered.

I think you are confusing Targeted Therapy with Immunotherapy.  Some Targeted Therapy drugs, like Tarceva, are taken in pill form.  But Targeted Therapy is not suitable for your type of cancer, so I believe infusion treatment will be the method of administration.

Stay the course.

Tom

Keytruda (pembrolizumab) - administered by infusion with a period of 3 weeks from infusion to infusion.

My Mom is on Keytruda right now. It has shrunk her liver cancer by one inch but her lung cancer has grown 5 mms.

We were told that Keytruda could kill the liver cancer but it is not approved yet as a treatment but should be shortly. Her lung cancer is in the lung cavity where her right lung has been fully removed due to cancer a year ago.

We are hoping that her body is just taking longer to kill the lung cancer. on a plus note she says her grey hair is turning brown like her natural color and she has only experienced itchiness as a side effect.

Good Luck
SG :)

Thankyou Seaglass and im just worrying that maybe they should be giving me some radiation doses as well as the Opdivo to help it along ..i hope your mum does well on her treatment ...

Thankyou i will enjoy my holiday and cancer can sit in the back seat for the 18 days and after that ill embrace the treatment plan and get on with it ..

Have a blast! One of my favorite movies is What About Bob. If you haven't seen it, Bill Murray plays a guy who is a hypochondriac. His therapist is going on vacation and in order to get Bob out of his office, he prescribes a vacation. As Bob is leaving the office, he is excited and announces "I'm taking a vacation. A vacations from my problems." It's one of my favorite lines from the movie. So I hereby prescribe you a vacation from your worries...leave them at home and live it up!

th (2).jpeg

Thankyou all for your holiday wishes but i have 10 days to go before leaving and 1 more Opdivo dose then ill be off 

Archived