Anyone Opt for StereoTactic RadioSurgery instead of Standard Surgery?

Mike Monaco

HI,

Just getting some thoughts together if I am found to having Lung Cancer.  Normally Standard Surgery has been done, but because of the newer more accurate forms of RadioSurgery, the StereoTactic form appears to provide a number of advantages over standard surgery, has anyone here gone that route, if so, how did you make out?  Any info appreciated.   Thank you.

Mike

I did have S. B. R. T. for 3 lung tumors since I was not a candidate for surgery. My  Medical Oncologist says he's no longer concerned about my lung tumors. So, he considers those to no longer be an issue I assume. One no longer shows up on P. E. T. at all and the other 2 have S. U. V. levels usually not considered cancer. Was only 5 treatments and the only side effect was some slight shortness of breath later taken   care of easily with 7 day course of prednisone. Unfortunately, my 3 month follow up scans revealed a met in my hip and another on my adrenal gland. Like my Radiology Oncologist said, "We got them, we just didn't quite get them quick enough." From what I've read this could also happen with surgery. Getting ready to probably have S. B. R. T. on my adrenal gland. There are risks with this but there are risks with all cancer treatments. My S. B. R. T. was successful and had much less difficulties with recovery. My chemo failed. I can only say obviously I'd do it again because I'm getting ready to do just that. 

Judy M. 

5 hours ago, Judy M. said:

Mike

I did have S. B. R. T. for 3 lung tumors since I was not a candidate for surgery. My  Medical Oncologist says he's no longer concerned about my lung tumors. So, he considers those to no longer be an issue I assume. One no longer shows up on P. E. T. at all and the other 2 have S. U. V. levels usually not considered cancer. Was only 5 treatments and the only side effect was some slight shortness of breath later taken   care of easily with 7 day course of prednisone. Unfortunately, my 3 month follow up scans revealed a met in my hip and another on my adrenal gland. Like my Radiology Oncologist said, "We got them, we just didn't quite get them quick enough." From what I've read this could also happen with surgery. Getting ready to probably have S. B. R. T. on my adrenal gland. There are risks with this but there are risks with all cancer treatments. My S. B. R. T. was successful and had much less difficulties with recovery. My chemo failed. I can only say obviously I'd do it again because I'm getting ready to do just that. 

Judy M. 

Hi Judy,

Thank you so much for the reply.  Your oncologist is right about not getting to it fast enough, cancer is quick, that is the whole problem.  Sounds like he did a great job with what could be seen the first time around, now have to deal with the sneaky ones next.  That is one great thing about using RadioSurgery, it is so much easier on the body than using a knife.  I have read many studies comparing both treatments, surgery used to be the choice for best results, but now RS comes out ahead for a number of reasons, plus it is so much easier on the body to recover, most people are able to go home a few hours later and get back into their routine.    In my area, we have some really good RS doctors and I made an appt to see one later this month if need be, could always cancel it if works out I do not need it, God willing.   I had a conventional surgery in July, the first day was the worst, but after that I was up and around, they used the type called minimally invasive with a camera they put in you called laparoscopic surgery, much easier to recover from instea of an incision several inches long, cannot even see the incisions now, but surgery is surgery and still issues can happen, though much less likely.    I am sorry the chemo idid not work, that is wht should have gotten rid of the sneaky ones, but am sure the next RS will get rid of those 2.   It sounds like you are doing well and will be free and clear soon enough ready to get back to your usual life again.  It is great to hear of success stories like this, makes you worry less about the surgery issue of cancer.   I had a cousin about 10 years ago that need several surgeries to finally rid himself of all the tumors, was quite an ordeal, plus the chemo, luckily he was young and able to deal with it, it can take a lot out of you, even if only once.   Glad you took the time to tell me about your experience, makes me feel much better about considering this type of treatment if needed.   Hope you get 100% back into shape and be up and about when the nice weather comes back.  Best of Health to you! 

Mike

I'm hoping that also. And that you turn out not to need either surgery or S. B. R. T. But if you do I found it to be a good option. 

Judy M. 

I had a friend suggest CyberKnife surgery (which is, I believe, the same thing as SBRT), but when I read up on it, the studies all seemed to suggest that if the patient is able to tolerate conventional surgery, that offers the best prospect for a cure.  Certainly when the patient can't tolerate surgery or it isn't an option for some other reason, it's a godsend, but I wanted to go with the procedure that offered the most promising outcome.  My lung function was fine, and my health was otherwise good, so I had no problem with the surgery.  Mine was VATS (laparoscopic), and apart from having to deal with a small air leak that caused my face and neck to swell (easily remedied by inserting a chest tube for just a couple more days), the surgery was easily tolerated.  I was back at work a week or so after my release from the hospital and feeling pretty much normal within a month or so.  

My friend who suggested CyberKnife had a father who was successfully treated with it, but her father was quite elderly and the surgery posed a much greater risk, which was why it was a good option for him.

Archived