New to this site and new on this journey.

Sallie Ferrell

I had surgery on 11/29/2017 for lung cancer. Docs had been watching a nodule for over a year and tried biopsies unsuccessfully three different times and different ways. The nodule was behind my ribs in my right lung. The last biopsy took 3 pieces, all came back benign. The pulmonologist suggest we wait 6 months for further testing. In November 2017 a CAT revealed the nodule had grown. Within a week I was sent to the Cancer Institute in Jackson MS. One week later surgery. Pathology found a second nodule near the first one. No cancer in the lymph nodes taken. Three weeks later I began chemo. My hubby and I had planned a trip to Italy to begin Dec. 30th. We had booked an apartment for 6 weeks, plus a bed and breakfast for 5 of our 6 daughters for one week. The surgeon and Oncologist agreed I could do the trip. First two weeks I came down with bronchitis and sinusitis! With a house call Doctor visit and meds I bounced back. Girls came and went. We have 2 weeks left before home. My next scheduled chemo is Feb 20...four days after we get home. I am, or was a healthy lady, age 73. Now I'm afraid. 

Sallie,

Of course you are afraid.  I am just emerging from the flu that went immediately to the worst chest cold I've ever had.  I'm a 14 year survivor of lung cancer and I was afraid. Hearing the news about the worst flu season in years and knowing my pulmonary deficiencies scared the wits out of me.  But, I kept doing what my doctors prescribed and now emerged feeling a lot better.

Lung illness during or after treatment is always a high concern.  I hope you heal up in time for your next treatment.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Sallie,

I'm also a healthy lady, age 72.  I consider myself healthy, despite having 3 cancers,including lung. I had my lobectomy in November 2016 and had a nasty case of broncitis in early January 2017. So we have some parallels. I didn't need chemo, though. I'm glad you were able to take your trip- it sounds like a great one.

Fear is a normal part of the cancer experience. I find it comes and goes. I try not to get too bogged down by it, which is not always easy. But my life is good and it goes on. Cancer is only a small part of it.

Bridget O

Hi, Sallie.  First, let me say that I wish I was with you in Italy!  I've only been once and absolutely loved it.  I have a friend there now - I think she's in Florence for a couple of days.  Back to this crummy cancer: everything about this stupid disease is scary.  However, as I approach my two year cancerversary, I am more convinced than ever that attitude and showing this cancer no fear are two of the best tools you will have.  

I had the same experience with my first biopsy; no signs of cancer.  I don't know how because my tumor was quite large.  But two years and one recurrence later, here I am.  For the most part, I just move through my life without thinking about the cancer.  Some days are easier than others.  I still take fun trips but now I invest in travel insurance.  I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.  Keep us posted on  your progress.

Hi, Sallie. Same thing it took them three biopsies  before they said it was Cancer .My second time around with different type this time and the fun starts next week with tests and theN visit to see two doctors In Victoria BC and following week and the pet scan in Vancouver all part of the cycle. Que sera 

On 1/31/2018 at 8:46 AM, Susan Cornett said:

Hi, Sallie.  First, let me say that I wish I was with you in Italy!  I've only been once and absolutely loved it.  I have a friend there now - I think she's in Florence for a couple of days.  Back to this crummy cancer: everything about this stupid disease is scary.  However, as I approach my two year cancerversary, I am more convinced than ever that attitude and showing this cancer no fear are two of the best tools you will have.  

I had the same experience with my first biopsy; no signs of cancer.  I don't know how because my tumor was quite large.  But two years and one recurrence later, here I am.  For the most part, I just move through my life without thinking about the cancer.  Some days are easier than others.  I still take fun trips but now I invest in travel insurance.  I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.  Keep us posted on  your progress.

Susan thanks for your reply. Yes, we have decided travel insurance is the only way to go. We have two more weeks to go and then 4 days until next chemo. I admire the folks on this board with their wisdom and courage. Italy is a wonderful place to forget about Cancer!

On 1/31/2018 at 11:44 AM, Robert Macaulay said:

Hi, Sallie. Same thing it took them three biopsies  before they said it was Cancer .My second time around with different type this time and the fun starts next week with tests and theN visit to see two doctors In Victoria BC and following week and the pet scan in Vancouver all part of the cycle. Que sera 

Robert, thanks for your response. This is all so terrifying. Please keep me posted on what they decide to do. I am scheduled for my second chemo on the 20th....partly because of our Italy trip.

Stay in touch.

Hi Sallie The way I look at it  would be terrifying if you were not getting treatment I got scheduled today to go for a CT with contrast on my head next week to me that is excellent as they are covering all the bases to decide the best treatment options.

Greetings newbie here. So confused. Hubby has been recently diagnosed with rare bladder cancer that is usually in the lungs. Been through hell and back already with MRIs and pet scan. See the oncologist tomorrow for results. He just got his port today for chemo that will start on Tuesday. I hate cancer!!!! Do not know where to post. But thank you

Hi Leisha,

Welcome here.  I'm sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. I can relate. In addition to my lung cancer, which is a pretty common variety, I had a rare and advanc and ed cervical cancer (clear cell),s a type usuaally  found in kidneys or  ovaries. So figuring out treatment was a challenge. For me it was helpful to learn all I could about both cervical cancer AND  clear cell cancer in the places it usually occurs. I read a lot and I got a second opinion from an oncologist who had more experience treating this cancer than my own oncologist did. I'm now NED (no evidence of disease) on all 3 of my cancers (also had breast cancer)   

This site is a good place to get information, support, and hope, so I hope you'll stay with us.

How did the oncologist appointment go?  

Bridget O

Leisha,

We found you!

Do tell us about your first oncology appointment.  I'm glad you are going with your husband.  Rule number 1 in lung cancer: never go to a oncology consultation alone.

Stay the course.

Tom

Archived