New Here and Newly Diagnosed

wendydevries

Just found out today that I have advanced lung cancer.

I feel super overwhelmed!

I would like any information on what I should/shouldn't do.

I have my biopsy scheduled for next week and then chemo and radiation.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Hi Wendy. 

Welcome here, to the club nobody wants to join.  You're normal feeling super overwhelmed. You're in totally unknown territory and aren't sure what the future will hold for you. We've all been there.

The biopsy will give information that will be helpful in determining your course of treatment. I suggest you confirm, if you haven't already, that they'll be doing molecular testing (also called tumor genetics) on the biopsy sample. The standard biopsy tells gives basic information, such as whether it's small cell (SCLC) or non-small  cell (NSCLC) lung cancer, as well as some tumor types such as adenocarcinoma or squamous cell. It used to be that was all that was done. The more advance  molecular or genetic testing gives information about what mutations may be present in your tumor. (This is different from the kind of genetic testing that shows what you inherited).Also, I assume you've had a PET scan. If not, that would be important.

A good source of information about lung cancer is Lung Cancer 101 on the main Lungevity site at: https://www.lungevity.org/for-patients-caregivers/lung-cancer-101.  There's also a list of questions to ask your doctor(s).

You'll probabably be hearing from some forum members who are long term survivors of advanced lung cancer. (Mine was early stage and diagnosed in late 2016.) This is a good place to find information, support and hope. When you feel comfortable doing so, you can tell us more about your situation, Also what questions you may have. It's possible that you don't yet know what questions to ask, but I'm sure you'll have some. Let us know how we can  support you. We're  here to do that.

Bridget O 

Hi Wendy,  glad you found us. 

Hope you also have friends and family that will go with you for your appointments and take notes.

So glad that your doctor sounds like is working quickly to get a definitive diagnosis and getting that treatment started.

I started with chemo and daily radiation.  Then I was able to have surgery followed by more chemo.  I am one of those

long term survivors.   My journey started 12/3/97 !   Please keep us posted on how you are doing and feel free to ask

questions,    Best Wishes ,     Donna G

Hi, Wendie.  Both Bridget and Donna have given you great information (but they always do!).  I've also been the chemo and radiation route.  The Cleveland Clinic has a website that gives great information on the various chemo drugs.  You can check out www.chemocare.com.  

I know the feeling of being overwhelmed.  My cancer was diagnosed during surgery to remove the mass, but my husband asked the doctors not to tell me for a day or so until I was a little stronger.  Imagine my surprise when the surgeon came in the next morning and said "So, let's talk about this cancer."  What??? But once I wrapped my head around my diagnosis and my treatment plan, I was ready to go.  Make sure you're comfortable with your medical team and get a second opinion if you want.  

We're here for you so let us know how we can help.

Hi, Wendy,

Just wanted to welcome you.  My own cancer was early stage, so I won't be much help in the advice department in terms of chemo or radiation (I just had surgery), but the others here have a ton of collective experience, and it's a great place for friendly support.

Glad you're here with us.

Archived