NSCLC IB to IIIa after surgery

Laurel

The quesiness continues. I'm thinking it may be my one pain pill at night (gabapentin) and 2 extra strength tylenol 2-3 times a day affecting my stomach....or a mild case of the flu. My pain at the chest tube site is gone. The strongest pain is along a big muscle on the right side of my back. I have some pain near my underarm and down the right side,  but it is the pain on my back right side that affects my sleeping. I receive the 45 degree wedge pillow today. Maybe that will help me sleep without the gabapentin.

Laurel,

Hang in there.  Did you ask your doctor about lidocaine transdermal patches, the ones that require a prescription?  They really help my localized chronic incision pain symptoms when this area is troubling before sleep.

Stay the course.

Tom

Laurel im Sorry you are having the pain and nausea regularly and i dont know what to advise because lucky me havent had any severe pain since my lobectomy Jan last yr when i was given endone which worked quickly and very much relieved my pain but Toms suggestions you can count on to be true and tried ....

I called my surgeon's nurse at M D Anderson. We talked about level and type of pain. She thought this was nueropathic pain and she recommended I return to taking gabepentin, 300 mg, 3 x day and start retaking tylenol extra strength. She suggested getting Salon Pas pain patches (so not the prescription lidocaine Tom). I just started with one of the salon pas patches, and it serms to help.  The nurse said I should see my primary care doctor for the other issues.

I saw my primary care doctor today for the diarrhea (one day), and three days of nausea, headache, intermittent chills, etc.  A urine sample was taken. She listened to my chest. She thought I had a lower G I bug and possible bronchitis. She sent me for a chest x ray,  giving me antibiotics.  

My primary doctor mentioned that the nerve pain could last a year....or longer. Good grief!  Thus, to make me functional, be able to drive, she suggested with the gabapentin that I take 100 mg 2 x day and 300mg at bedtime....monitoring control of pain snd side effects.

I tried the 45 degree wedge that was recommended.  It was a good angle for sleeping but it was too hard and painful.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Hi, Laurel,

I'm glad to see that you've made connections with several LCSC members and moderators already. Please let me know if you'd like additional information about LUNGevity's support programs and resources. And please continue to post updates and ask questions! We are here for you.

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Archived