1st visit with the Oncologist

PaulaC

The appointment went great and I was really relieved to finally get in to see the doctor. I was lucky they had someone cancel and opened up a spot 2 weeks early. 

The doctor graded my cancer T3, N2, M0 and possible 3a or 3b.  The PET showed the big tumor with a small one right behind it and two lymph nodes. It's upper left lobe and the lymph nodes look like they are the ones next to the bronchus. I love that he drew it out on the white board and explained it step by step. My husband is really good at grasping verbal but I'm more visual. 
The plans:

An appointment with a surgeon on Monday to get his opinion and thoughts on surgery.

A bone scan or will be once insurance is verified.

Biomarker test done on my biopsy. (I think that is what he called the lab test) I think what he said was to figure out what drugs to use for Chemo. I may be wrong.

They did blood work at the office and he gave me a possible plan depending on the surgeon.  He's thinking chemo than surgery but its possible no surgery at all. I'm just glad he didn't say surgery was totally out. 

Oh and he doesn't feel like the shoulder and arm is related to the cancer.  My cardiologist doesn't feel like its my heart so I guess it's live with it or go to my ortho doc. 

Thanks for listening

Take Care

Paula

The appointment with the surgeon was rescheduled but I did get the appointment for tomorrow for the bone scan. Praying for a good outcome.

I had my appointment with the surgeon yesterday, he is scheduling another biopsy on the lymph nodes. This will hopefully be done this week as an outpatient. He pretty much said the same thing the oncologist said if the lymph node is cancer no surgery. 

Thanks for posting an update, Paula. Keep us posted on your results! We're thinking of you!

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

I know how slow it feels, but remember, you ARE moving forward.  I'd rather have my doctors make me wait than to rush ahead without all the info they need to make the right recommendations.

I think you'll feel better when treatment starts--whatever form that may take and even if it's taxing physically.

A bit of an update! I had the appointment with the surgeon and my biopsy is scheduled for Thursday March 29th to determine whats going on with the lymph nodes. Hopefully its getting closer to getting some type of treatment started. 

Hi, Paula,

I hope all went well with the biopsy yesterday and that you can get some answers and a treatment plan soon. Please keep us posted. We are here for you!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Good afternoon Lauren, I’ve been kinda out of it this morning up all night with indigestion and sore throat. The biopsy went well and from what I was told both lymph nodes were cancerous. The good news is that the dr thinks that he can do the surgery to remove the mass after a round of chemo. I don’t know if radiation was mentioned. 

I have my appointment set for the 9th but I’m hoping to get in sooner.  

I’m finally feeling a little better but really was surprised at how sick I was after the procedure. I literally slept in the recliner Thursday evening because of the nausea. I still haven’t been able to eat but the acid reflux is under control. 

I really didn’t expect this (Mediastinoscopy) to be has hard on me as it was. 

Paula,

My biopsy was also a mediastinoscopy and a rigid bronchoscopy.  I was sore (sore throat) for about a week but I didn't have any nausea. I hope you recover quickly.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I already feel better it just surprised me how sore I am. The indigestion was the worst of it but I’m still not able to eat.  It hurts to swollow even water.  

Hi, Paula,

I had a mediastinoscopy (they went on to do surgery after rapid biopsies on lymph nodes came back negative). I had quite a bit of discomfort as well and could feel water going down... all the way down! I can feel some foods going down as well. People think I'm crazy, I'm grateful to hear someone else describe the same!! I am 3 weeks out and though it's not painful, it's still sensitive and I am still having trouble swallowing gel tabs, capsules or large tablets like vitamins. Hoping this will get better! I had some acid reflux as well. At my follow up with surgeon I told him that my mediastinum area felt like internal road rash - he chuckled and said that nobody ever described it like that. I was a little bummed thinking I'm crazy lol.

Hope you're feeling better and able to eat! Sending healing thoughts your way.

Ann

Good morning Ann, no you’re not crazy it’s been truly painful. I’ve felt better everyday but the soreness is still happening. I would be concerned except I can tell it’s healing. 

Here’s to a better day!

Paula

Archived