General Weakness

Sunny552

So I have a question regarding general weakness.  My mom is stage 3B nsclc (we think - staging not conclusive) and for the past few days has been experiencing general weakness.  What I mean by this is prior to this week, she was walking independently and seemed to have more energy than she has had the past few days.  The palliative nurse was out a few days ago and commented it must just be the weather (it was very hot out that day).  The palliative doctor visited yesterday and she was still weak.  She could walk maybe a dozen steps with the walker and then needed to sit as her legs were weak and she was exhausted.  Doctor had labs done and the only ones that are off are sodium (129), and WBC is 2.3, however she had her last chemo 18 days ago so probably still low WBC due to that.  We are supplementing with oral electrolytes last night and today and some water restriction however I am not sure this is the problem.  Has anyone else had periods of extreme weakness and is there anything else I should be looking out for?  I feel like I am grasping for straws here but really concerned as she seems to be going downhill and I am not sure why.  She has a great attitude and enthusiasm for life so I am really thinking this is physical but not sure what else I can do or if this is just part of the process I don't yet understand.

Thanks in advance for your advice.  

Sunny

My husband experienced weakness at points when he was having chemo. It  really is hard to see those we love experience symptoms we have no real answer for. I often wish we came with  a read out button we could push and it would tell us exactly what was causing our problems. Maybe someday with technology we will. The lungs supply air and I know from my own experience with lungs that they can cause weakness if there are any problems with them. Humidity is bad here in FL and those hot humid days can wipe me out. She is very lucky to have you so concerned and reaching out for ideas to help her. 

Hi Sunny

I think chemo can make you weak. I slept a lot the first few days of my final treatment. As the member above says oxygen levels being low can cause this too. When my oxygen level gets lower than normal I start to feel tried and weak. And hot, humid weather effects my oxygen levels. I pretty much stay under the air conditioning in that weather. Also,  since she's on chemo is she eating well? I have an older friend who gets so weak she staggers and is in danger of falling if she doesn't eat every 2 hours. Don't really know much, just throwing out some possibilities. 

Judy M

Thanks for your replies!  Judy, mom is currently doing tube feedings thru her peg tube so I am handling them every 3 hours, 5x a day.  I have been watching her oxygen levels.  I am thinking this may be a blood pressure issue.  Thankfully palliative care is back tomorrow so hopefully they will see the decline as well.  As with everything, I am just learning as I go. 

FLgirl - I also wish there was a cheat sheet that went along with this so I knew what to do:)

Sunny

Archived