Chemo and radiation treatments

PaulaC

I was prescribed Nexium for oesophagal burn from the radiation. I had no problems so it must have worked OK.

Cisplatin is far harder on the kidneys than carboplatin

On 6/4/2018 at 5:26 PM, PaulaC said:

Thank you BridgetO and JudyM. I was able to get the chemo and will go back in 3 weeks for full amount and then another three weeks later. 

I’m just glad I got through this first stage but from what the doc says is a good start.

Take Care

Paula

Hi, Paula,

I'm glad to hear that you're off to a good start! Please continue to keep us posted and ask questions. We are here for you!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Thanks Lauren, it’s been a tough week feeling pretty nauseated and my esophagus is still really sore. I do my blood work Monday so I’ll check with the doctors on what can be done. 

Take care 

Paula

Thanks Teri, I’m just concerned because it kills to eat or drink anything. I’ve lost to much weight to quickly. My main thing is I need to eat. 

Take Care

Paula

Oh, yeah, having it hurt to swallow is awful. I can identify only in terms of more short-term pain, but I can imagine how tough it must be to have it going on so long. Maybe the docs can suggest something to relieve the pain a bit.  Sending a hug.

Teri, the doctors have prescribed two different scripts that are mixed when I pick them up. I’ve used them as much as I can but they wear off quickly. What’s terrible is they cost $50 or more per week. 🤷‍♀️ 

I’m hoping it heals quickly. 

Take Care

Paula

Paula,

To ease the swallowing pain, I suggest milk shakes or ice cream. (Mint flavored ice cream may be particularly tasty -- it was during my chemo.)  Both are packed with calories and you'll need calories to stand up to the rigor of your treatment.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi, Paula,

I hope that your pain goes down so you can enjoy some of those milkshakes Tom recommended! We're thinking of you!

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

I had a terrible night so went to see the doc today and he thinks I have a really bad case if thrush.  I have meds for that and praying it works. 

Take Care

Paula

At the infusion center- it was recommended:

- no over the counter gargles, like listerine

- gargle with baking soda, salt and water 3 times a day

- eat yogurt every day

Maybe these may ease thrush.

Hugs.

Laurel I hadn’t thought about yogurt but I’m going to get some.  👍🏼

I do the baking soda mouth wash and it’s kept my mouth pretty clear. 

I was gargling with baking soda and water. Yesterday, at the infusion center, they added salt to baking soda and salt concoction.

My primary physician is strong on the idea of daily yogurt when on antibiotics or doing chemo.  If fact, always have yogurt. :)

I had a few mouth sores during chemo. The baking soda/salt/water got rid of them. Kept using it daily and they never returned. Have used yogurt for antibiotics for a long time, but first time I've heard of it for chemo. Ate it during chemo though just because I love Greek yogurt and I was told to eat a lot of protein. 

Judy M. 

Archived