Jump to content
PaulaC

Chemo and radiation treatments

Recommended Posts

Paula

Hope all goes well my last two radiation are Monday and Tuesday and follow up Chemo on May-22. I had no concerns with Chemo and Fatique was the only thing with radiation especialy weekends.You will know right away with chemo as they will monitor the first doses very closely.

Best of luck hope all goes well for you.

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Robert Macaulay said:

Paula

Hope all goes well my last two radiation are Monday and Tuesday and follow up Chemo on May-22. I had no concerns with Chemo and Fatique was the only thing with radiation especialy weekends.You will know right away with chemo as they will monitor the first doses very closely.

Best of luck hope all goes well for you.

Bob

Thank you Bob!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my first chemo last Wednesday.  On getting up from chair after infusion, I felt unsteady. I walked like on a rolling ship and had a mild headache. During one of my infusions, I felt a little nauseous. Ginger candy helped with that. I brought a light blanket and water. Hydration before infusion helps. The fourth day and a bit of fifth, I was suffering from nausea. Taking prescribed medication, snacking on saltines, bland food and ginger drops helped. You are in my prayers and sending soft hugs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to get some ginger ale! So far I’m not feeling anything. 🙏🤞🏻

I had no weird reactions and hoping that stays the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Laurel said:

I had my first chemo last Wednesday.  On getting up from chair after infusion, I felt unsteady. I walked like on a rolling ship and had a mild headache. During one of my infusions, I felt a little nauseous. Ginger candy helped with that. I brought a light blanket and water. Hydration before infusion helps. The fourth day and a bit of fifth, I was suffering from nausea. Taking prescribed medication, snacking on saltines, bland food and ginger drops helped. You are in my prayers and sending soft hugs.

Laurel love the hugs and sending some your way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PaulaC said:

I need to get some ginger ale! So far I’m not feeling anything. 🙏🤞🏻

I had no weird reactions and hoping that stays the same. 

How long did it take first one was  the longest over four hours for me the rest  around three hours.

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first was about 4 hours and like you the rest should be shorter. The nurse said they start slow and continue to increase the drip to be sure you can handle it. 

Paula

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking of you Paula. I hope all is going o k. It seems to be the 3rd, 4th day that nausea creeps in. Use the prescribed medications provided....along with saltines, ginger candy, pepto bismol......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Laurel. I bought the ginger, saltines and trying to drink lots of water. 

Second radiation done and all is good. 

6 hours ago, Laurel said:

Thinking of you Paula. I hope all is going o k. It seems to be the 3rd, 4th day that nausea creeps in. Use the prescribed medications provided....along with saltines, ginger candy, pepto bismol......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you are finally on the treatment path, Paula! Hopefully you continue to tolerate the chemo, it's great news that so far you are not having any side effects. How many radiation treatments will you be getting? I initially thought I was going to be doing 5 weeks, found out yesterday that they want to do 6. Let us know how those treatments go, I'm not doing the chemo and radiation simultaneously - probably 3-4 weeks after I complete the chemotherapy I will begin the radiation. I'll be thinking of you & sending hugs!!

Ann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m doing 6 weeks of radiation. Monday through Friday and chemo once a week on Monday's. I know it’s just the beginning and it’ll catch up to me.  I’m just glad that I’m ok so far. 

 The nurse did tell me to take the anti nausea meds every 8 hours because what the gave me by drip would wear off in a couple days. 

Hugs 

Paula

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ann Cronin said:

Glad you are finally on the treatment path, Paula! Hopefully you continue to tolerate the chemo, it's great news that so far you are not having any side effects. How many radiation treatments will you be getting? I initially thought I was going to be doing 5 weeks, found out yesterday that they want to do 6. Let us know how those treatments go, I'm not doing the chemo and radiation simultaneously - probably 3-4 weeks after I complete the chemotherapy I will begin the radiation. I'll be thinking of you & sending hugs!!

Ann

Ann, how are you doing with your treatments?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far I've only had one chemotherapy treatment. I didn't tolerate it very well, severe nausea that lasted through about day 6. Then slight nausea through about day 9 and an overall feeling of being wiped out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every 21 days. I'm on Cisplatin which is known for excess nausea. I think you had previously shared that you are on Carboplatin?? Carboplatin, apparently, does not cause as severe nausea as the Cisplatin. I've read different comments on the differences in the 2 drugs so I'm not entirely sure what the true differences are. I've read that Cisplatin is a cheaper med and also read that Cisplatin is more aggressive. I guess I should ask my Oncologist what the difference is..... I do know that if someone can't tolerate the Cisplatin, they are often then prescribed the Carboplatin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ann Cronin said:

Every 21 days. I'm on Cisplatin which is known for excess nausea. I think you had previously shared that you are on Carboplatin?? Carboplatin, apparently, does not cause as severe nausea as the Cisplatin. I've read different comments on the differences in the 2 drugs so I'm not entirely sure what the true differences are. I've read that Cisplatin is a cheaper med and also read that Cisplatin is more aggressive. I guess I should ask my Oncologist what the difference is..... I do know that if someone can't tolerate the Cisplatin, they are often then prescribed the Carboplatin.

Ann that makes sense. I hope they get your nausea under control. 

Take care

Paula 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well today is my last Chemo in my first round and I’m praying my blood counts are high enough they will give it to me. I wasn’t able to do Chemo last week because my WBC was to low. Thankfully they weren’t low enough to stop my Radiation. I have today and tomorrow left for Radiation. 

I see the doc today so I should have an idea of what comes next. I’m really looking forward to a small break.  I’m still having a really hard time swallowing. I’m hoping with the break my throat will heal up. I don’t know if it’s the Radiation or Chemo that is causing the problem. 

Will keep you updated

Take Care

Paula

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The end is in sight! I suspect it's the combination of radiation and chemo that's causing the problem. I had the combo for a different (non-lung ) cancer and it was pretty ferocious. I'm alive and NED almost 7 years later, so it was worth it.

Bridget O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you BridgetO and JudyM. I was able to get the chemo and will go back in 3 weeks for full amount and then another three weeks later. 

I’m just glad I got through this first stage but from what the doc says is a good start.

Take Care

Paula

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×