Mally

Mally

Have been thinking about weightloss when having lung cancer and what causes it .....lack of appetite or the disease itself ? I have gained weight and have a good appetite .

Mally

I actually gained weight during chemo (maybe the steroids) but lost it after. My appetite has been fine also and my weight has stayed about the same as prior to my diagnosis. From what I've read weight loss can be the result of loss of appetite or muscle loss (there's a medical term for it that starts with a "c" that I can't recall right now) because the cancer somehow consumes muscle tissue. My Oncologist told me to eat plenty of protein. I'm thinking that's why. I'm thankful that my appetite is good and I haven't lost weight. First time in my life I've ever said that!!! LOL. But I did whine about the weight gain during chemo and set out to lose it after. 

Judy M

Mally,

I had three chemotherapy regimes.  In the first, before surgery, and with Taxol and Carboplatin, I maintained my weight.  Nausea was hardly a problem.  During my second, also Taxol and Carboplatin, I gained weight but this was likely recovering weight lost during extensive surgery.  In my last chemo period, Taxol, Carboplatin and Tarceva, I lost weight and appetite and GI disturbances were a major problem.  I attribute these problems to Tarceva.

I think steroids before and during infusion were the appetite engines during my first two chemo regimes.  

Stay the course.

Tom   

Mally,

My mom, who is overweight to begin with, was so mad that she actually gained a couple of pounds during her first bout of chemo.  She didn't have any major side effects except for severe acid reflux, so she was able to eat as she normally does.  For her 2nd go around with chemo, she did lose quite a bit of weight because she didn't feel well for the duration of the treatment.  Although she hated being sick, she is very happy today that she has lost all of the weight! I think that might be one advantage of being overweight when going into cancer treatment - there is plenty to lose without being considered as too thin or unhealthy.

Archived