Cisplatin & Taxotere /

Mark C

Hi all, 

I will be starting my adjuvant chemo today. 4 rounds of the drugs stated above. 1 round every three weeks. No radiation. Living

post pneumonectomy so far has been OK. Doctors & nurses all seem to think I am moving along better than expected. 7 weeks post surgery

and I am working and doing lots of walking. Going to take some time off work again until I know how chemo goes.

I will report back soon. Thanks again to all!!

Mark

Glad to hear from you Mark. And really happy you're doing so well. I didn't have that particular  chemo cocktail but may on here did so if you have any questions ask away. 

Judy M

For another (non-lung) cancer I had carboplatin and taxoterre, following concurrent chemo with cisplatin and radiation. With the carbo/taxo I had severe neutropenia, neutrophils zero, as bad as it gets. THe only symptom, as is common, is a low fever. Neutropenia with fever can indicate an infection which can become life threatening in hours. So if you have fever, call your doctor and if you can't get through, go to the ER ASAP. I did, and got two antibiotics and recovered. After that, I got neupogen after each infusion and didn't have the neutrophil crash. Also at the end of my treatment I had severe anemia and needed a transfusion of red blood cells. I got though it all! (obviously) and am NED on that cancer (7 years out) and also on my Stage 1a lung cancer (1 -1/2 years). So it was worth it. I hope that your treatment will be equally successful.

Mark,

Welcome here.  Great to learn you are up and about after your pneumonectomy.  I had both adjuvant chemo as a combination therapy with radiation, then the real-deal concentration after a metastasis.  Comparatively, the adjuvant chemo (under strength dose) was a walk in the park.  I didn't even lose my hair.

Of course, everyone reacts differently to chemotherapy but I'm hoping your experience is similar to mine.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi, Mark,

Thanks for the update! This site is a great place to ask questions. I'm also happy to help you find additional information and support resources. We are here for you!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Just a quick note. I am going today for my second round. First one was rough for the first week or so, then some improvement. I went back to work on the 9th day after. I am getting full strength, knock you over type doses. Neulasta is required then just nausea meds that worked for the most part. At least now I know whats coming.... ugh!!

Mark   

Besides anti nausea medication, I have lots to combat it. During chemo, I suck on ginger candy. I have saltine crackers to munch....keeping them by my bed. There's ginger ale, ginger cookies, ginger candy, mango popsickles. I have yogurt daily as my primary doctor recommends. I gargle baking soda, salt and water 3 times per day for combating mouth sores.

I am sorry your chemo is so tough on you.

In my case, food was not really the issue. I ate OK, it was fatigue that was the the biggest thing. I had to force myself just to get out of a chair for a week. I

am normally a very active person so this was especially difficult. 

• 7 months later...

Good Morning, Mark C...I was reading up and noticed your and my husband's, diagnosis is pretty similar. He had a left lung pneumonectomy on Dec. 10th and probably starts treatment on Sept. 25th. He is stage 2B...We also live in Florida. South Florida. I wanted to reach out and see how you are doing with Chemo etc. He is N! because it was on a few lymph nodes. station X and XI. I hope you are doing well! 

Archived