Treatments

I was in remission until dec 2017 got diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer with Mets to the bones, liver and mediastinum lymph nodes. I have absolutely no symptoms other then the cough in the winter when I had a broken rib. (Gone now) I received 4 rounds of carboplatin, Pemetrexed and avastin. Scans showed tumors shrinking and now on Pemetrexed and avastin plus Zometa for bonestrenght every 21 days.Asked my oncologist for how long and she said indefinitely. I still feel very well and the side effects are not to bad. Are there other patients out there with the same treatments and how are you coping with that? I have a very hard time some days especially about the unknown and since Iam not sick or feel sick. 

Karin,

Welcome here.

My only symptoms of my lung cancer were a cough.  An x-ray for broken ribs about 60 days before my diagnosis did not show any signs of cancer so my diagnosis was a surprise.  Many here have a similar diagnostic story.

My chemotherapy was Taxol and Carboplatin.  I note your Carboplatin, Pemetrexed, and Avastin is a new standard for non squamous cell non small lung cancer and am very happy to learn it is having an effect on your cancer.  Although I did not have the same chemotherapy as you, my oncologist once said he would treat my lung cancer indefinitely (or as a chronic condition) as long as I kept showing a response to the drugs.  Fortunately, I had a positive but not a lasting response.

How does one cope with treatment?  That is a very good question.  For me, the inserting the IV was the most unpleasant part.  Waiting for scan results was also not pleasant (an understatement).  I note you report few side effects and that is a good thing.  Unfortunately, in my treatment, chemo produced a number of troubling side effects.  I had an infusion cycle every three weeks and had about 5 bad side effect days in between infusions.  

Hopefully someone will chime in with their experience on your chemo recipe.  In the mean time, if you have questions, fire away.

Stay the course.

Tom 

• 4 weeks later...

So Tom,

What  5 side effects did you have? This is my second cycle of Carboplatin and taxol 6-22. This time they added zomestra for the bone pain. Dry mouth, nausea and severe fatigue hit yesterday. I feel like all I do is sleep! Also loss of appetite. Not actually loss I guess. I'm hungry but absolutely nothing is appealing to me. I'm curious as to other peoples side effects and what they did to counteract them.

Laura -Murphette214

5/22/18 DX NSCLC Adenocarcinoma with mtrs to bone, spine stomach lining, abdomen, lymph nodes

6/1 first cycle of Chemo - Carboplatin/Taxol

6/4/18 Power Port

6/15/18 Hospitalized for severe pain in lower back. Mets worse in that area and now in brain.

6/22/18 2nd cycle chemo - Carboplatin/Taxol/Zomestra

6/28/18 starting 10 rds radiation on lower back then 1 round on brain.

Laura (Murphette)

I had 5 bad side effect days in each 21 day infusion cycle.  During these days, I had one day of nausea. If I took my anti-nausea medication, I just felt a tinge and never actually spent anytime kneeling before the throne.  Then I had 4 days of intense joint pain.  There was no swelling but the pain was constant and near unbearable.  I tried all kinds of arthritic creams, ointments and even 5% lidocaine cream.  Nothing helped and I had to take my opioid medication, particularly at night.  I didn't really sleep.  I also had a burning pain in my toes -- called Taxol toes -- a common complaint.  I still have the Taxol toes as a chronic pain condition and thankfully, the joint pain stopped shortly after my last infusion.

I hope your radiation treatments eliminate the mets.  Radiation should.  It is a sure met killer.

Welcome here, by the way.  We are fellow Texans and I live in Rockwall.  You'll likely have further questions and if so, this is the place.

Stay the course.

Tom

• 3 months later...
On 5/28/2018 at 8:48 PM, Karin said:

I was in remission until dec 2017 got diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer with Mets to the bones, liver and mediastinum lymph nodes. I have absolutely no symptoms other then the cough in the winter when I had a broken rib. (Gone now) I received 4 rounds of carboplatin, Pemetrexed and avastin. Scans showed tumors shrinking and now on Pemetrexed and avastin plus Zometa for bonestrenght every 21 days.Asked my oncologist for how long and she said indefinitely. I still feel very well and the side effects are not to bad. Are there other patients out there with the same treatments and how are you coping with that? I have a very hard time some days especially about the unknown and since Iam not sick or feel sick. 

They found my left lung cancer while I was in the hospital for pneumonia when a test was ran to confirm the lung cancer to left lung at stage 3 to go into remission in early 2017 after chimo & radiation.I suffer from a spinal injury from 1991 with pain medication. The cancer  & lung doctor ask me about the pain from lung cancer. As I told the doctors that I only have pain from the spinal problem. Supposedly Lung cancer is painful lucky for me no other pain Thank God. I never got sick on the chimo like other people & my prayers go out to those unlucky people. Cancer is a disease that can hide so well & travel without detection.

Archived